Request for tips.

Hi, I hope this hasn't been asked a million times already. I searched.

I have some experience in Labview (I wrote the somewhat basic software that my lab uses) but I don't consider myself a programmer. I'm an engineering student that sometimes has to program to get work done efficiently.

That being said, I need help with the "rules of labview". I've been charged with writing a couple other programs over the summer, and I'd like to know things that regular programmers already know (OpenG is good?). I’d like to learn more about state machines. And so on.

Are there any good labview resources out there? I need explanations about how things work, and to be exposed to things I'd never have considered (state machines).

Thanks!

-James

Oh, I forgot!

Some NI rep told me about some way you could make two loops that operated independently of each other... one loop controlled the GUI, and the other loop did all the machine interfacing and junk. That way, you could let the user do things while something else was working in the background.

What's that all about?

Oh, I forgot!

Some NI rep told me about some way you could make two loops that operated independently of each other... one loop controlled the GUI, and the other loop did all the machine interfacing and junk. That way, you could let the user do things while something else was working in the background.

What's that all about?

4817[/snapback]

Go to www.ni.com/devzone and enter 'design patterns' in the search field. You'll find a lot of good resources on advanced concepts there, also tutorials. State machines are explained as well as the master/slave pattern and many others..

-Franz

That being said, I need help with the "rules of labview".

4816[/snapback]

Have a look at LTR. It is quarterly publication full of examples and guides from other programmers all around the world. Epecially I'd like to mention "Volume 7, Number 1" and "Volume 7, Number 2": "Rules to Wire By". A set of 44 rules of what one should and should not do in LV.

Didier