Hooks into LV Compare

After much googling I think I know the answer , but , I will ask here...

I need to write a utility to compare vi's in a large project , and probably future projects..

Automating the Compare Hierarchy is pretty simple , but , I need to go one step farther and and show the differences circled then saved as a jpeg etc....

As of now there doesn't appear to be a way to automate showing the differences  , it will be a real pain to have to do it all manually ...

We are currently using LV 2012 , but , will be upgrading to either 18/19 soon...

Dan

Well , since I installed the evaluation version of LV2018 i played around with the Compare VI Hierarchies tool , it actually does everything I need ...

But , be cautious using it at first when Creating a Report , it did the webpage report just fine , when I tried to create a Word Doc it failed , AND , deleted everything in the directory it was supposed to save the Word doc in , luckily I was using the Temp directory so it wasn't a big issue , in fact on a second try at it , it deleted the Temp directory too , not just the contents...

As I said I am using the evaluation version , so , maybe something is wrong with my install.

Dan

25 minutes ago, FragRz said:

Sorry, I should have explained more clearly what it means that the method is private.

In short, private methods are not officially supported - they may not have documentation, they may not work, or they may even have unexpected side effects - just like in your case.

FragRz

I didn't mean the private Method you referred to , I was talking about the when you have LV open and go to Tools -> Compare -> Compare VI Hierarchies...

Dan

On 4/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Dan Bookwalter N8DCJ said:

Well , since I installed the evaluation version of LV2018 i played around with the Compare VI Hierarchies tool , it actually does everything I need ...

But , be cautious using it at first when Creating a Report , it did the webpage report just fine , when I tried to create a Word Doc it failed , AND , deleted everything in the directory it was supposed to save the Word doc in , luckily I was using the Temp directory so it wasn't a big issue , in fact on a second try at it , it deleted the Temp directory too , not just the contents...

As I said I am using the evaluation version , so , maybe something is wrong with my install.

Dan

I got a PSE to work on this for a while this week. We couldn’t replicate the issue. It’s a pretty bad bug — wiping out the whole directory. If you have more explicit steps to reproduce, please consider filing a bug report with NI. 

15 hours ago, Aristos Queue said:

I got a PSE to work on this for a while this week. We couldn’t replicate the issue. It’s a pretty bad bug — wiping out the whole directory. If you have more explicit steps to reproduce, please consider filing a bug report with NI. 

AQ

I will try again today and see if i can replicate it....

Dan