start/stop button help

:headbang:

i'm failry new to labview, and i've been working on a program for the last week to acquire data from a DAQ card - it will allow the user to imput a string and choose a file from a listbox. the user can mark the data.

my final task is to create a button on the vi that will start and stop the data acquisition while measuring the amount of time that it has been recording. our testing is based upon the user doing something at a set speed - so we can determine how fast they completed the task by timing the data recording.

i have not been able to find any sample codes or help with creation of this button. i have fooled with the idea of using an event structure, but am not sure how to set it up with my program - any help would be great!

thanks so much!

jess

ps... the vi file is attached

Download File:post-2309-1117132726.vi

:oops:

as a follow-up.. i've tried adding the event structure in different ways (i used a modification of the neweventstructure.vi) , but everytime i run the vi, labview gets stuck and i can't stop the simulation without exiting the program....

it has solved the problem of not recording data until the "start" button hs been clicked, but i can no longer mark the data or stop the simulation

i'm guessing anyone with advice on event structures in 6.1 would be a huge help too.... or a good way to incorporate it into the file on the previous post

again, thank you to anyone who can help...

jess

Download File:post-2309-1117221573.vi

:worship:

thank you so much for your help! it finally stopped crashing and the data can be recorded

- the only thing i'm still having problems with is the clock - i need to be able to measure the amount of time that we are recording data to tell if the run was good or not - i have tried putting it in several different places inside and outside of the case structure and still cannot get anything but the milisecond timer to work - i would really like it to light up an led if (5 / (time/1000)) is between 2 set values.

any suggestions?

as usual, the file is attached...

jess

Download File:post-2309-1117544402.vi