Calling a VI in Development mode.

When I call a VI in debug environment, everything works as expected. However, when I call the same VI after building I get the error - 

image.png.e8a7e45df75990967e71652567549ffc.png

After quite a bit of searching, I found that Error 53 could be related to the call not being available in LABView Runtime engine. Since the tool that I am working on, will be used only by developers and will have access to the development environment, I wanted to run the VI in development mode in the build exe. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Not really.  I mean it might be possible but an easier way to handle this would be to setup your VI to run on open, and then just ask your users to double click on the VI from a shortcut somewhere like the desktop.  Then it will open that VI in LabVIEW (because that's what happens when you double click a VI file) and on open it will start running it.  You can even configure the VI to quit LabVIEW when the VI stops running or the user closes the window.  Then they wouldn't even know it is running in the IDE.

This does however go against some standard programming practices and the better answer would involve still turning the code into an application, and figuring out what features you are trying to use that isn't available in the run-time engine.  And try to code around them.

If you want to run the VI in the IDE as a tool of some sort, save it into the "<LabVIEW>\project" subdirectory. Every VI in that directory gets automatically picked up and added to the Tools menu. The menu item gets its text from the display name of the VI, saved in VI Properties. When the menu item is chosen, your VI is run in an isolated application instance so it never interferes with running applications. App instance isolation is how all the G parts of the IDE execute, like the icon editor, the getting started window, or the right-click menus.