Retarget app from LVRTE 2009 to 2017 without *.lv source?

We have a gage supplied by a company that shipped it with a *.exe application targeted for LVRTE 2009. I need to retarget it for 2017, but don't have the source code. The supplier had said they'd gladly supply me with a copy of the *.LV source, but they have looked and cannot find their own copy in-house.

History of Need: Our global corporate mother ship's IT department, in their infinite wisdom, is mandating an upgrade from Win7 to Win10. That with yet even further constraints. They enforce a list of "approved versions" of "approved applications". And for LVRTE, they are insisting upon 2017, with 2009 being a red light.

So, then, my query. Is converting an app without the source for a higher LVRTE doable at all? File is attached.

If it is doable, instructions on how?

Concentricity-Gage.exe

No you can't do what you are asking.  There are a few things you might want to know, but none will totally fix your situation.

Starting in LabVIEW 2017 there is a forward compatible runtime engine.  Meaning binaries build in LabVIEW 2017 can be ran in the 2018 or newer runtime engine.  When you build a EXE there is an option to force it to run in that one version of LabVIEW, or the newest one installed.  Then if you wanted to run a new version all you'd need to do is install the new RTE and it would run in that.  Obviously that is a relatively new feature and not going to be useful for you now.

Also there is the fact that LabVIEW 2009 while not official supported in Windows 10 will most likely run just fine.  I've installed LabVIEW 7.1 in Windows 7 and had no issues, other than tracking down old drivers to support it.  So you might be able to convince your IT team that the 2009 RTE should be used.  Without the source that really is the only way to run that EXE.  The binary is compiled for that RTE and can't be recompiled for another target or platform unless you have the source.

• Thanks 1

@hooovahh is right, this is not doable. Your executable doesn't contain the source code and without the source code you cannot compile the application. If the source code is lost, you can either re-program the application (probably very costly) or convince your IT department to allow installing the LV2009 RTE for this particular executable.

That said, it is possible to copy the executable and the entire RTE to the target computer manually, for example as part of the "installer" for your executable (IT department mustn't know 😉). We have done so in the past (for the same reasons) and it works like a charm. Of course, this only works for utility applications. It doesn't work if your application depends on other drivers like VISA and the like. If this is not a problem for you, just copy the RTE folder from the NI installation directory ".\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2009", put your executable inside and be happy. I just ran your application on a clean Windows 10 virtual machine and it starts without errors and terminates after a few seconds. It's worth a try in my opinion.

Edited by LogMAN
  • Thanks 1