LabVIEW Community Edition Announced

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 4:33 AM, Porter said:

I wonder if they will also release a community edition for Linux.

I'm afraid the chance for that is very small. Maintaining a separate install is a lot of work and the Community Edition is a different installation than the standard LabVIEW installer. More importantly: There is no license manager for the Linux version. So there is no way to put up something like the yearly renewal request for activation of the Community Edition. Basically it would be way to easy to distribute the LabVIEW Community Edition for Linux by bad actors and with no way for NI to even know about where it is used. The yearly reactivation requirement for the Community Edition is the only way that allows NI to at least track the use of it in some ways and give potential abusers at least once a year a bad feeling.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:
  • LINX toolkit included with install. Supports:
    • Arduino via serial port.
    • Digilent uChip board
    • RasPi and Beaglebone Black as LabVIEW targets via Ethernet Port.
    • You can build/deploy a LVRT application on the above targets (RasPi and Beaglebone Black) and run headless. Exact same process as traditional NI embedded targets etc like cRIO.
    • You can use the LINX toolkit separately if you need it for commercial usage. Just install it on a non-community system. The license for LINX allows this now.

*Arduino is only serial support (not a target)

Is there a dedicated place for information and discussion about this? LabVIEWMakerHub is a bit sparse and I'm not sure it's completely up to date (mentions LV Home, etc.). I'm curious as to target support (RaspPi Compute 3?, Hats?, etc) and getting started. I have a RaspPi 3 and 4 on order as of last night. I'm very curious to see if this can fit a niche where a cRIO is overkill and $$, and I really need something like a USB-61xx in an embedded target.

Edited by Jordan Kuehn
2 minutes ago, Jordan Kuehn said:

Is there a dedicated place for information and discussion about this? 

Funny you should mention that.  LAVA has created a new subforum dedicated to the LabVIEW Community edition, and this thread (among a couple others) have been moved into it.  Feel free to post questions comments, and information regarding the community edition there.  

• Like 2
Just now, hooovahh said:

Funny you should mention that.  LAVA has created a new subforum dedicated to the LabVIEW Community edition, and this thread (among a couple others) have been moved into it.  Feel free to post questions comments, and information regarding the community edition there.  

Is LINX its own separate topic or should be co-mingled with LV CE? Thanks for the new space!

(Thank Michael).  I do see this as a slight issue.  For now the new LINX is only in the Community Edition, so this one subforum will support both sets of topics.  In the future LINX will be its own updated package on the Tools Network, and won't necessarily be part of the Community Edition.  That being said I don't think we will be making another subforum just for LINX stuff.  I expect the majority of Community Edition topics will be related to LINX, and splitting LINX into Community and Non Community subforums would only split the conversation up.  For now the Community Edition subforum has pretty icons showing the Pi, Arduino, and Beagleboard.  This will hopefully drive people wanting to make topics on this hardware, into that subforum.  Co-mingle away.

• Like 1

The LabVIEW community edition, community is tiny right now and it's up to all of us to build it up and help others. We are the pioneers so to speak. Don't forget we have the LabVIEW Wiki to use as a place to create compatibility tables and information. Creating a LabVIEW compatibility table should be the first thing on there, actually.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, Jordan Kuehn said:

I'm shocked that one isn't already available.

Note above where I quoted another NI engineer about the complexity of answering that question given the variations of Pis available. We (NI) does not own one of every possible Pi. We are able to give the tech specs of what is supported, but the model numbers are not so straightforward in their mapping. Therefore, the table will have to be crowd sourced over time.

If you're shocked that the community has not built it yet, well, LV2020 CE only dropped on Tuesday. 🙂

Edited by Aristos Queue
1 minute ago, Aristos Queue said:

Note above where I quoted another NI engineer about the complexity of answering that question given the variations of Pis available. We (NI) does not own one of every possible Pi. We are able to give the tech specs of what is supported, but the model numbers are not so straightforward in their mapping. Therefore, the table will have to be crowd sourced over time.

If you're shocked that the community has not built it yet, well, LV2020 CE only dropped on Tuesday. 🙂

Fair enough 😀

6 minutes ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

I'm investigating this hardware which might fit your requirement: https://www.mccdaq.com/DAQ-HAT.aspx

I too was looking at those hats. I haven't gotten too deep into it, but it does seem like they haven't built LV drivers for them yet and would require calling some custom commands from the Raspberry Pi. At least according to the existing LINX webpage:

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=libraries:linx:faq#6

However, I have used MCCDAQ products before (TC-32) and they do seem to have some good LV support in house. I wouldn't be surprised if they add support to the product. If I'm wrong about needing custom commands/drivers that would be great!

Edited by Jordan Kuehn
1 hour ago, Jordan Kuehn said:

I too was looking at those hats. I haven't gotten too deep into it, but it does seem like they haven't built LV drivers for them yet and would require calling some custom commands from the Raspberry Pi. At least according to the existing LINX webpage:

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=libraries:linx:faq#6

However, I have used MCCDAQ products before (TC-32) and they do seem to have some good LV support in house. I wouldn't be surprised if they add support to the product. If I'm wrong about needing custom commands/drivers that would be great!

Well considering NI owns MCCDAQ... It could be a good thing or a bad thing.