Can I sell my copy of LabView?

I'm sorry if this is either a dumb question, or not appropriate for this forum. About a month ago, I purchased a copy of NI Pro Developer and Sound and Vibration Toolkit from NI. It was supposed to be for a client, and a week ago, that client went bankrupt! Here I sit with some expensive software, and am curious if I can sell this software? I have not opened it up (it is all still sealed), not have I registered it, etc.

Does anyone know if I can do this? If so, any ideas where?

Thanks for any/all help!

I'm sorry if this is either a dumb question, or not appropriate for this forum.  About a month ago, I purchased a copy of NI Pro Developer and Sound and Vibration Toolkit from NI.  It was supposed to be for a client, and a week ago, that client went bankrupt!  Here I sit with some expensive software, and am curious if I can sell this software?  I have not opened it up (it is all still sealed), not have I registered it, etc.

Does anyone know if I can do this?  If so, any ideas where?

Thanks for any/all help!

4937[/snapback]

Well, legally you can of course sell it. Some software vendors would like their users that they can not, but it is a product you have paid for and you can sell to others, provided that you do not retain any copies of any material contained in the package. After all you would have sold that package to your client too, wouldn't you?

First thing to do would be to contact NI if there is a chance that they may take it back. If you have a good relationship with your local sales rep this should not be a big problem, but don't wait to long. They have limits how long they may take back stuff and they will charge you a restocking fee of some percentage.

You could try to post a message here in the appropriate forum and hope that someone will be interested in this. Keep the announcement brief and don't spam every single LabVIEW related mailing list and forum repeatedly with this.

If that all fails you could always go to ebay and try to sell it there. Maybe that would be even better than trying to sell it on a forum like this.

Rolf Kalbermatter

First thing to do would be to contact NI if there is a chance that they may take it back. If you have a good relationship with your local sales rep this should not be a big problem, but don't wait to long. They have limits how long they may take back stuff and they will charge you a restocking fee of some percentage.

4947[/snapback]

This is mentioned in the license agreement. You cannot sell it without informing NI of the transfer of ownership. As follows:

Transfer. If you have a single seat license or if the SOFTWARE is Multiple Access Software, you may transfer the SOFTWARE to a third party provided that you notify NI in writing of such transfer (including the name and location of such third party), such third party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and after such transfer you do not retain any copies of the SOFTWARE (including all Upgrades that you may have received) nor retain any of the written materials accompanying the SOFTWARE. NI may, in its discretion, charge you a fee for the transfer of the SOFTWARE. If you have a volume license, an academic license, a student edition license, a debug license, or an evaluation license, the license is non-transferable and you may not distribute or otherwise provide the SOFTWARE to any third party or (with respect to a volume license) to any of your sites or facilities not expressly identified in the applicable documents from NI.

• 4 months later...

I myself purchased my license from a third party with the help of NI. NI confirmed to me that the license I wanted was valid and transferable. They tell you to download a transfer form that needs to be signed by the selling party and information on both parties. The selling party needs to submit the transfer form to NI, NI verifies it and that will complete the transfer.

I myself purchased my license from a third party with the help of NI. NI confirmed to me that the license I wanted was valid and transferable. They tell you to download a transfer form that needs to be signed by the selling party and information on both parties. The selling party needs to submit the transfer form to NI, NI verifies it and that will complete the transfer.
I can second this. It is pretty simple. I recently needed to transfer a license. NI made it easy. You do not even have to fax it in (like it states on the form) I just printed, signed, scanned it to JPG and emailed. Took no time.