Checking if a vi directory has been modified

We have a need to easily determine if a directory with subdirectories full of hundreds of LabVIEW vi's has been modified. We would like to be able to check if a "baselined" directory of files matches with a copied version of the same directory. We have experienced problems when someone modifies one or two vi files out of several hundred without notification, then the resultant code doesn't work properly when executed as some later time. For diagnostic purposes we would like to be able and check quickly if someone actually has modified any vi without laboriously reviewing each vi by hand. We were thinking of some stand alone software possibly a LabVIEW vi that could check automatically the copied version against the baselined version.

We have a need to easily determine if a directory with subdirectories full of hundreds of LabVIEW vi's has been modified. We would like to be able to check if a "baselined" directory of files matches with a copied version of the same directory. We have experienced problems when someone modifies one or two vi files out of several hundred without notification, then the resultant code doesn't work properly when executed as some later time. For diagnostic purposes we would like to be able and check quickly if someone actually has modified any vi without laboriously reviewing each vi by hand. We were thinking of some stand alone software possibly a LabVIEW vi that could check automatically the copied version against the baselined version.

4949[/snapback]

One tool that I use for such things is Beyond Compare. It is easy to use and provides tons of features. Another option is to use a Version Control System (CVS, Subversion, Perforce, VSS, etc).

One tool that I use for such things is Beyond Compare.  It is easy to use and provides tons of features.  Another option is to use a Version Control System (CVS, Subversion, Perforce, VSS, etc).

4950[/snapback]

I third that nomination.

If you want to go homebrew, use the OpenG routines to get a list of all the files in the directories and llbs then run a checksum comparison on all of them. I do this type of thing all the time in other regards of directory/subdirectory comparisons... it's the very crude but effective version of what B.C. does.

I will also say I have heard good things about beyond compare, but never used it myself.

I have used a homebrew method, using MD5 checksums. I use MD5summer (free download at http://md5summer.org) to create a MD5 fingerprint of each file and store it in a data file, then I call routine in Labview to calc the MD5 of a file. If it does not match the one stored in the data file, I have a problem. I like MD5 because it is better defined than a 32bit CRC, and the MD5summer can read and write in a format understood in Windows or Linux.

I also second the idea of using some source code control. Many times, you want to know if something has changed, and more importantly, WHAT has changed. That is where the Difference tool built into Labview can help. Jim Kring made a Diff Tool add-on (http://meta-diff.sourceforge.net/lvdiff.html) to Tortise CVS (http://www.tortoisecvs.org/) so that if there is a change, it can open the VI's to show you the 2 different ones side by side. I think there is also a way that this can be done using MS Visual Source Safe add-in for Labview.