Create Drawing in Labview

vivekb31

I want to develop an application in which user can create drawing (Electrical Network)at runtime user can pick controls like line, transformers, bus, PT, etc. electrical objects through tool box and place them on working area (drawing area) and save this drawing for further use. In future this drawing is connected with SCADA. Is it possible in Labview??

Pls. reply as soon as possible.

Thanks

Vivek

I want to develop an application in which user can create drawing (Electrical Network)at runtime user can pick controls like line, transformers, bus, PT, etc. electrical objects through tool box and place them on working area (drawing area) and save this drawing for further use. In future this drawing is connected with SCADA. Is it possible in Labview??

Pls. reply as soon as possible.

Thanks

Vivek

4976[/snapback]

Of course it is possible. There is vitually nothing impossible in LabVIEW ;-) You will have to look at the Picture Control if you want to stay native. Expect this project to be a major work however. The Picture Control is like a sketchboard. You can create code in LabVIEW to draw anything in there. The problem arises if you want to let the user modify an already created drawing. You will have to map the mouse click back to the object you think the user wants to modify and figure out a way to let the user do operations on that object. The first thing is done by really maintaing the drawing as an array of clusters with each cluster being an object and all the necessary parameters in the cluster like the type of object, size, location, and so on. Every time you want to update the entire drawing you walk through this array and create a new Picture Control drawin. To find back the object which a user might have clicked at you will again walk that list and need some smart routine to find out the object best mapping to that location. Then you might have to find a way to let the user manipulate the object. Things like moving an object are obvious operations but still not all to simple. Other operations might best be handled by object specific property dialogs you popup.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Of course it is possible. There is vitually nothing impossible in LabVIEW ;-) You will have to look at the Picture Control if you want to stay native. Expect this project to be a major work however. The Picture Control is like a sketchboard. You can create code in LabVIEW to draw anything in there. The problem arises if you want to let the user modify an already created drawing. You will have to map the mouse click back to the object you think the user wants to modify and figure out a way to let the user do operations on that object. The first thing is done by really maintaing the drawing as an array of clusters with each cluster being an object and all the necessary parameters in the cluster like the type of object, size, location, and so on. Every time you want to update the entire drawing you walk through this array and create a new Picture Control drawin. To find back the object which a user might have clicked at you will again walk that list and need some smart routine to find out the object best mapping to that location. Then you might have to find a way to let the user manipulate the object. Things like moving an object are obvious operations but still not all to simple. Other operations might best be handled by object specific property dialogs you popup.

Rolf Kalbermatter

4977[/snapback]

Dear Rolf,

Thanks for reply, I'm novice in Labview so is there any example of such type of VI If possible.

Thanks

Vivek

Hi

some time ago i develoa a complete user configurable scada system. the goal of this software is to permit user to modify tag definition and graphical sinoptics easiest.

To do this i create a software in labview that open , but not run, a template vi inside it using function "setchild windoes" of user32.dll.

the results is a single panel with menu button ecc on the top (caler software) and botton a labview FP embedded to it so you can use all the labview function to edit it., rigth click for use control palette.

Also i create some codo to deny user to switch to BD and so on.

Bye,

Alessandro Ricco.

I believe there is a user interface example floating around called Draw.llb that was essentially an etch-a-sketch type tool using the picture control. It allowed the user to draw wires, ellipses, boxes, etc, fill them in and so on. (Actually I have seen more than one of these). Draw.llb even had a rudimentary UNDO.

If you took this as a starting point and added a database array of your widgets, rules and VIs for managing wiring, connectivity, etc and a *LOT* of mouse finger grease, you would probably end up with something approaching what your ask for above. Not impossible, but a fair amount of work.

• 6 years later...

Please post your picture here rather than linking to it. I don't trust any link that claims to be to a picture but where the picture name is actually a directory name and takes me to a site in a foreign language with all sorts of complaints about me having my security settings too high.

If you're looking for draw.llb, look here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Primative-quot-paint-quot-functionailty-and-where-is-Draw-llb/td-p/617628

I want to develop an application in which user can create drawing (Electrical Network)at runtime user can pick controls like line, transformers, bus, PT, etc. electrical objects through tool box and place them on working area (drawing area) and save this drawing for further use. In future this drawing is connected with SCADA.

Sounds like you want something like National Instruments Lookout. I've used it on a few jobs that are very similar to yours and it worked great.