beep.vi causes audiodg.exe to consume all RAM

Porter

I had a labivew application crash yesterday due to the PC running out of memory. Looking at the windows 10 system logs, it was audiodg.exe that ate up all of the memory.

Re-launching the application again and triggering the beep sound  caused audiodg.exe memory usage to shoot up at 10s of MB/s.

I suspect that this is a realtek audio driver bug because I can't reproduce this behavior on my development machine.

Has anyone else come across this kind of behavior before?

Just tested beep VI on its own and again I get the same run away ram consumption of audiodg.exe (+5MB/s).

image.png.59486203c02a27adce3db7ee968a6b81.png

I've got a bleeping memory leak! RAM remains reserved by audiodg.exe even after exiting the application.

When using the sound VIs to play a WAV file, there is no such memory leak behavior.

LabVIEW 2018 SP1 32-Bit
Windows 10 Home 10.0.17763

Realtek Audio
PNP Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0255&SUBSYS_10280855&REV_1000\4&3675F7D0&0&0001
Driver: rtkvhd64.sys (6.0.1.8393, 5.83 MB (6,111,680 bytes), 2019-04-28 1:27 AM)

1 hour ago, Porter said:

I've got a bleeping memory leak! RAM remains reserved by audiodg.exe even after exiting the application.

Best bug description I've heard in a while.

This doesn't sound like a LabVIEW issue, so I'm not going to escalate it, but drop me a personal message if your ongoing investigation leads you back to NI.