NI update and package manager eating hard drive space.

I work with VMs and monitoring VM drive space is one issue I look at every now and then.

The "C:\ProgramData\National Instruments" folder on one of my VMs is using 40GB. Does anyone know the proper way to clean up the NI crap?

Using SpaceSniffer, it show the bulk of it is used by the Update Service and NI Package Manager. I'm sure it's just leftover installers that may be needed.

26 minutes ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

Does anyone know the proper way to clean up the NI crap?

Using SpaceSniffer, it show the bulk of it is used by the Update Service and NI Package Manager. I'm sure it's just leftover installers that may be needed.

I don't know if a "proper" way exists, hence https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Package-Management-Idea/Add-ability-to-reclaim-space-taken-by-cached-packages/idi-p/4024241

I've been manually deleting the *.nipkg files, and the very old folders in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\Update Service\Installers, without ill effects to my day-to-day work.

I think NI Package Builder or LabVIEW Application Builder can't bundle a dependency if its package or local installer is gone, however.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome to LAVA @jorgecat 🏆

As a matter of fact, there can be two files depending when you installed NIPM for the first time.

• \%programdata%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Packages\nipkg.ini
  • \%localappdata%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\nipkg.ini

According to this article, the location changed from %programdata% to %localappdata% in later versions of NIPM but both locations are still supported.

The INI file for the feed has changed, but the software still references the old INI file. If you have an nipkg.ini file inside C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Settings, delete this file.