DETT capabilities?

I was looking at a user guide for the Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit. And I found this: 

A pretty graph!

ref: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/323738a.pdf

image.png.d6dc38d8af72b4f78d9082fc696d9679.png

I would love to see this kind of detail on my applications but i cant figure out if it was a dropped feature or what the deal is. It sounds like it should just work by default. :(

Maybe its just for real-time targets (lame)? I cant even export enough information from the DETT to redraw a graph like this. But many tools have this kind of execution time view, if it is part of the tool how to i access it and if not how could i get something similar?

Edited by Taylorh140
Added reference

Ahh, This is too bad. :) I wasn't aware of Real-Time Execution Trace Toolkit. I Guess the title should be more explicit :)

Is there any way to make similar reports using the DETT? (Theoretically?) My eyes always glaze over looking at the wall of text generated from DETT. VI Calls and returns are matched by the tool (Higlighting) but i cant find a way to get this information exported. 

From the Data tab you can enable logging but I don't think you can export the trace after the fact for some reason.

The wall of text is very intimidating but I'll try to give some advice. The way I see most people use DETT is by logging some giant 10,000 line trace and then they just dive into it hoping to find something useful. I usually find that this strategy is a giant waste of time. Ideally you have some specific thing you want to check with DETT (am I leaking references, I shouldn't be reaching this case but am I actually enqueuing that) at this point you can go into View > Filter Settings to filter out all of the garbage, leaving yourself a much more manageable trace to look through.

• Like 1

@jacobson I agree that is a way to use it. but it seems like a waste of potential leaving it at just the wall of text. especially since the c++ guys can get fancy profiling tools like this one:

https://github.com/wolfpld/tracy (so pretty)

And i think I'm not the only one that would write their own tool to present the data if it we could get of all the necessary information. It is just a little disappointing. 

I became a squeaky wheel: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Desktop-Execution-Trace-Toolkit-should-be-able-to-present-data/idi-p/4046489

Y'all are welcome to join me.

Edited by Taylorh140
Added Idea to exchange.