Run LabVIEW.exe hidden

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to run "LabVIEW.exe" hidden (I'm using LabVIEW 2018) , so without the splash screen and the starting window.

I tried Method 1 and Method 2 described in this article https://winaero.com/blog/run-a-program-hidden-in-windows-10/, but nothing.

I tried also the INI parameter key "HideRootWindow=True", but only the taskbar icon is hidden.

I asked help to NI Support, but nothing.

This is my last chance:
Somebody knows a way to run "LabVIEW.exe" completely hidden in Windows OS?

Thank you,

Francesco

Starting Window.PNG

splash screen.PNG

I'd understand if you wanted to hide your application, but hidding LV itself?

Is there even a command line interface to LV? Isn't LV unusable in that state?

I'd just binary patch LV binary to create its window with some strange config.

That would only remove the window though. To remove a process from all lists, more complex changes would be required.

For modifying such properties of an app on Windows without changing the binary, people usually use AutoHotKey. Nice tool, has a lot of uses. I'm using it to disable windows keys when children play games on the computer, or to make any window stay on top. Using it, you can hide the app from screen and from Task Manager.

5 minutes ago, Mefistotelis said:

Is there even a command line interface to LV?

There is: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvhowto/cli_running_operations/

5 hours ago, Fra_Sabba said:

I'm looking for a way to run "LabVIEW.exe" hidden (I'm using LabVIEW 2018) , so without the splash screen and the starting window.

What are you trying to achieve?

To my knowledge there is no built-in way to avoid the splash screen. You can, however, skip the Getting Started window by enabling Skip Getting Started window on launch under Tools > Options > Environment. LabVIEW will then always create an empty VI on startup. Not sure if that is what you want.

• Like 1

Hello,

@LogMAN. I tried LabVIEWCLI, but nothing. If you want to run a Build Specification, LabVIEWCLI runs LabVIEW.exe (with splash screen and starting window).

So, I tought another strategy. I used the code from this post https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2319838/open-a-program-with-python-minimized-or-hidden to create a python script (then exe) to start LabVIEW.exe and hide the visible windows (splash screen and starting window). The final result is very good! 🙂

I attached the code, it is a simple example code that could help someone else.

If you have some suggestions we can improve the code together.

Thank you.

StartLabVIEWSilently.zip

Edited by Fra_Sabba

Glad to hear you found a working solution. Looks simple enough to adjust to any version and bitness of LV.

Not sure if this works, but it might be possible to run LabVIEW as a Windows service, which would make it entirely invisible. I'm thinking about NSSM or similar tools to turn the executable into a service. This would also allow LabVIEW to start during startup (i.e. after login) to have it up and running for CI jobs.