Anybody having problems with VIPM 2020? And how can i get VIPM 2019?

15 hours ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

Can you provide a public link where people can download VIPM 2019? So far I haven't seen one, unless I missed it.

The link vipm.io/download page is the official place to go -- there is a link on that page for people to obtain older versions of the installer.  We're working to improve that page over the coming weeks, to make this process easier, so stay tuned.

It sounds like you’ve got a copy of the VIPM 2019 installer and have everything you need at the moment -- if you or any other user needs a specific version you can’t find, please let us know via that link we provided. Thanks!

Edited by Jim Kring
5 minutes ago, drjdpowell said:

I can only see a link to a request page, where only Pro users can make a request to presumably get older versions.  There's no link to just get an older version that I can see.

Oh, thanks for letting me know. We'll fix that, right away.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:59 AM, drjdpowell said:

I can only see a link to a request page, where only Pro users can make a request to presumably get older versions.  There's no link to just get an older version that I can see.

Hi James. We fixed the link to the downloads page.

Thanks again for reporting that and please let us know how it works for you -- your feedback is really helpful, as always.

Currently, with LV 2020 and VIPM 2020.1, I have the following problem:

1. I open VIPM browser and search for any package (like an OpenG or MGI package)
  2. I find the package
  3. I open its page and select download
  4. I get a Windows popup message that it was downloaded almost immediately, but nothing happens if I click the message.
  5. The other three buttons on the page remain disabled, so I can't open the package in VIPM to install it.

If I take a VIP file from elsewhere and double click it, then VIPM opens it and I can install it.

Also, the downloads page to download older versions requires a sign-in.

Hi Yair,

Regarding the problems installing the package, can you check your error log folder?

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\error

Regarding older installer downloads: The main page listing the older versions is publicly visible (now), and the installer downloads themselves do require a sign-in.  Thanks for your understanding about this.  It does create a support burden to have legacy software in use (since new versions of OS'es, LabVIEW, and other software can break things), so it helps to limit legacy downloads to customers with legitimate needs.  Putting a small hurdle of a sign-in (and a notice to appropriate support resources) helps in that regard, and also helps establish a communication channel to inform users of fixes, new versions, etc. We're doing our very best to produce a useful and high-quality application that meets the needs of 10's of thousands of users over time, and that's no small feat.

Everyone's feedback here is totally valid, so thanks for sharing more about what's working and what still needs some love.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:05 PM, Jim Kring said:

Hi Yair,

Regarding the problems installing the package, can you check your error log folder?

No errors are added to the log when this happens. The errors that are there (the file is attached) are probably partly because of my attempts to manually install and partly because of another annoying bug - I don't recall the exact details, but basically my LV had a non-standard VI server port, and VIPM had trouble connecting to LV. I figured out that was probably the issue (as it happened before), so I changed it in LV to be the standard 3363 and then VIPM could connect, but when installing or mass compiling (can't remember what point exactly) it then failed to connect. I looked at the VIPM settings and saw that it did actually find the non-standard port, so I changed it in VIPM to the standard one, but it still had trouble connecting.

Basically, it looks like that there are two points in the installation process of a package where VIPM tries to connect to LV and one of them caches the VI server settings and isn't updated when the settings are updated in VIPM until VIPM is restarted. To successfully install without restarting, I had to switch LV back and forth between the two ports.

and the installer downloads themselves do require a sign-in.  Thanks for your understanding about this

Well, I understand why you want to create a small barrier after you've explained it. In this specific case, my need is small enough that I haven't bothered with overcoming that barrier so far.

VIPM error log.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I don't need or care for the new VIPM browser. How can I stop it from launching all the time and staying resident. I have to keep manually exiting it every time. An option in VIPM to turn it off would make sense. I would like to make my own decisions to use a feature and not have it forced upon me. I have not seen where this is configured.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.48.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, Michael Aivaliotis said:

I don't need or care for the new VIPM browser. How can I stop it from launching all the time and staying resident. I have to keep manually exiting it every time. An option in VIPM to turn it off would make sense. I would like to make my own decisions to use a feature and not have it forced upon me. I have not seen where this is configured.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.48.10 PM.png

You can disable this feature as described earlier in this thread and here:

VIPM KnowledgeBase: Disabling VIPM service (System Tray) startup when LabVIEW starts up