Question: Does anybody use "Cyth SQLite Logger"

Does anyone use Cyth SQLite Logger?   In particular, does anyone use it with Actor Framework or DQMH or similar frameworks.  This logger was written by me years ago and I use it often, but in Messenger-Library based applications.  I would like to know if it works properly in those frameworks.  It should, I think, as they use similar Async-Called VIs as Messenger Library (Cyth SQLite Logger identifies the Async-running "actor" that makes a log entry and records it).

Nope, don't use it. I use my own logger I wrote myself.

I am intrigued with the idea of using a DB for log messages in that I can get clever and do queries and things but at the end of the day human readable text files will probably trump for me due to their simplicity of consumption.

I symply use syslog in my applications and then a standard syslog server to do whatever is needed for. Usually the messages are viewed in realtime during debugging and sometimes simply dumped to disk afterwards from within the syslog server, but there is seldom much use of it once the system is up and running.

If any form of traceability is required, we usually store all relevant messages into a database, quite often that is simply a SQL Server express database.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
On 7/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

I symply use syslog in my applications and then a standard syslog server to do whatever is needed for. Usually the messages are viewed in realtime during debugging and sometimes simply dumped to disk afterwards from within the syslog server, but there is seldom much use of it once the system is up and running.

If any form of traceability is required, we usually store all relevant messages into a database, quite often that is simply a SQL Server express database.

I have used Syslog on distributed systems.  But this logger I use not for debugging during development, but for diagnosing issues in the field.  So when someone says a customer reported a "strange problem" last week I can ask for the log file and see whatever was going on at that time.  

Edited by drjdpowell
On 7/8/2020 at 1:54 PM, Neil Pate said:

I am intrigued with the idea of using a DB for log messages in that I can get clever and do queries and things but at the end of the day human readable text files will probably trump for me due to their simplicity of consumption.

It's the difficulty in consuming text files with hundreds of thousands of log entries that makes me like a db.

Our logging routines are home grown.  Of course, we're not logging EVERYTHING, mostly just overall test results and not each bit of data collected from a UUT.  Our older testers log production pass/fail data to CSV files (older testers) or the company's MS SQL database.  

I've wanted to use SQLite for local logging, but the push back that I got was that it adds a dependency - having to create or install a viewer to access the logged data.  Most of the other Engineers that would be accessing that data want something that's ASCII based and easy to read and import into other formats that wouldn't require anything other than common applications to access. (E.g. Excel, Notepad, etc.).  They like the KISS method.

Edited by Bryan
  • 1 year later...