append vs. overwrite file

We have an existing program the uses Labview to write to an Exel file. The ideal situation would be for the program to continually append the current file rather than to overwrite it everytime the application is invoked. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this. I didn't write the program, so I can't give a great deal of details on how it writes the files at the moment.

Thanks!

first stupid comment:

if you are not inside the code, you don't know what happens ... so, if you don't know what your problem is, how should someone else be able to do anything more than guess what might happen in your software ?

the second stupid comment:

you have a 65355 row limit in excel, so appending is no good idea, because you can't control the length ...

cheers

cb

first guess

your software is writing a *.CSV File

solution: search the "write characters to file" VI and set the "append" input from FALSE to TRUE

second guess

your software is using a shared library (like from OpenOffice ...) which writes a REAL excel file ..

solution: sorry, have none

third guess

your software is using ActiveX to write into an excel file:

change your software to:

open the existing file, read out the last used cell, start writing from there on

good look

cb

Thanks for the reply. I fully understand that I wasn't able to express exactly what I was needing. With the information you provided, I can now search through and find where and how to change this.

I am basically learning the coding process as I go without any experienced help on site. Your "stupid comments" are more helpful than you think!

Thanks

Jay

first guess  

your software is writing a *.CSV File 

solution: search the "write characters to file" VI and set the "append" input from FALSE to TRUE 

second guess 

your software is using a shared library (like from OpenOffice ...) which writes a REAL excel file .. 

solution: sorry, have none 

third guess 

your software is using ActiveX to write into an excel file: 

change your software to: 

open the existing file, read out the last used cell, start writing from there on 

good look 

cb

5219[/snapback]

• 5 months later...

I think You stuck up while overwriting file options, generally, the overwrite mean that, it wil overwrite the current existing file, but it wont do so, it will create a new file in the overwrite mode and checks if the name of new file is existing???? if yes it ll overwrite that file name else if Append mean while it wont create the new file but Append the data into existing file.