Analog pulse analysis using piecewise linear regression

viSci

Greetings - After much experimentation I have concluded that the standard waveform pulse and transient measurement vi's in LabVIEW are not adaptive enough to handle analysis (High, Low, Tf, Tr and Pulse width) for a generalized pulse that can be rectangular or in some cases triangular with zero pulse width.  I am thinking that the solution might be a type of piecewise linear regression.  Has anyone accomplished this without making assumptions on the number of linear segments in the waveform? Is there another way to try to model this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you have specific examples of the data you want to  process? How do you get zero pulse width? Do you want to ptocess the whole data or just a portion of it "real time"? If your data is that special, why don't you do the anlysis yourself? It's clear how you define pulse width of a rectangle, but how do you define it for a smoother data? If you always have special data (rectangular or triangluar), then I think your best bet is to calculate everything by yourself, or detect whether the data is special or normal "waveformable" data and handle the two kind separately.

Also, have you considered fixing the data before analysis? For example a simple resampling with much higher frequency to have a "waveformable" data? With a frequency that complies with the time measurement accuracy you aim for.