Installing vipm-17.0.2018-linux

I am trying to install the package manager, vipm-17.0.2018-linux, for LabView on Debian Linux and it is a total mess.

I copied the folder /JKI and all the contents to /usr/local. And installed the rpm files in the LabVIEW2015SP1RTE_Linux folder by converting them with alien to deb files. I removed the 32-Bit rpm files before converting them.

When i try to execute run it doesn´t find the libraries.

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

51 minutes ago, Yaw Mensah said:

I removed the 32-Bit rpm files before converting them.

Probably you shouldn't have. Forgot what I did then, but for me

$ file /usr/local/JKI/VIPM/vipm
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/vipm: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.33, BuildID[sha1]=ff35d7adc7d9ef4e1ee0b41f6d67085e2c22dbe7, stripped

$ file /usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/*.so
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/lvanlys.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/lvzlib.so:  ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, with debug_info, not stripped

In the folder there different files for different architecture.

For example I would delete nicurli-15.1.0-f0.i386.rpm but install nicurli-15.1.0-f0.x86_64.rpm

and nicurli-15.1.0-32-Bit-f0.x86_64.rpm. If i leave nicurli-15.1.0-f0.i386.rpm there alien report wrong architecture and doesn´t convert. 

image.png

file /usr/local/JKI/VIPM/vipm
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/vipm: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.33, BuildID[sha1]=ff35d7adc7d9ef4e1ee0b41f6d67085e2c22dbe7, stripped
file /usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/*.so
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/lvanlys.so: ELF 32-bit LSB pie executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/support/lvzlib.so:  ELF 32-bit LSB pie executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, with debug_info, not stripped

After that i tried executing vipm

sudo ./vipm

and i got command not found.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I managed to install LV2020, and VIPM 2017 on Ubuntu 20.04.
I am experiencing issues with the fonts in VIPM (some of the fonts are chinese and they are very ugly).
LV2020 works well. I assume it is related to LV2015RTE.
Do you see the same in your Debian installation?

image-fonts.PNG

Edited by MzazM
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone anyway able to use this vipm with LV>2019? I've just checked two installation which connect fine to LV2019, but not to 2020 nor 2021. Standard settings of vi server port & authorization checked by the book. Or are recent versions of LV simply not supposed to be supported by that old release of vipm?

Hi, this is my guide on how I install VIPM on Linux. In this case Ubuntu (conversion of rpm to deb is done via alien).
Hope it helps.

VI Package Manager is not yet available for LabVIEW 2020 Linux follow up here.
This is a workaround that can be used to install VIPM 2017 and make it work with LV2020 on Ubuntu Server.
Useful links, especially about softlinks and icons are taken from here and here

Assuming that the vipm tar file is placed in a VIPM folder in home, extract them in the home

tar -pxvf ~/VIPM/vipm-17.0.2018-linux.tar

Add i386 architecture (for downloading packages i386 that are needed)

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y libxinerama1:i386
sudo apt-get install -y libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
sudo apt-get install -y xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi

Install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install -y lib32stdc++6
sudo apt-get install -y lib32z1

Convert i386 into tgz and then back to deb (for alien to manage to convert 32bit packages in a 64bit system). 
Clean up and install LabVIEW 2015

cd ~/vipm-17.0.2018-linux/LabVIEW2015SP1RTE_Linux/
#sudo rm ni*.rpm
sudo alien -ckt *i386.rpm 
sudo alien -ck *.tgz
sudo rm *.tgz
sudo rm *i386.rpm
sudo alien -ck *.rpm
sudo rm *.rpm
sudo dpkg -i labview-2015-rte-32bit_15.0.1-1_all.deb

Copy JKI folder, give proper permission and make links so that all libraries are found

sudo cp -r ~/vipm-17.0.2018-linux/JKI /usr/local/
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrt*
sudo ln -sf "/usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2015/" "/usr/lib/"
sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrtdark.so.15.0.1" "/usr/local/lib/liblvrtdark.so.15.0"
sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrt.so.15.0.1" "/usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.15.0"

Add VIPM in application launcher and make it start with sudo when clicking on it.
I am attaching the vipm.policy, vipm.desktop and pkexec-vipm used below to this post.

sudo cp -p "/usr/local/JKI/VIPM/icons/linux/VIPM 48x48 - 32bit.png" "/usr/share/pixmaps/VIPM_48x48_32bit.png"
sudo cp ~/VIPM/vipm.policy /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/
sudo cp ~/VIPM/vipm.desktop /usr/share/applications/
sudo cp ~/VIPM/pkexec-vipm /usr/bin/
sudo chown root:root /usr/share/applications/vipm.desktop
sudo chmod 644 /usr/share/applications/vipm.desktop
sudo chown root:root /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/vipm.policy
sudo chmod 644 /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/vipm.policy
sudo chown root:root /usr/bin/pkexec-vipm
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/pkexec-vipm

pkexec-vipm vipm.desktop vipm.policy

Edited by MzazM
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, good to see them. I hadn't done that much, the dependencies I had already picked up probably from whichever other installation, and yet vipm works fine for me with LV2019. In particular these links and +x seems unnecessary for me:

38 minutes ago, MzazM said:

Copy JKI folder, give proper permission and make links so that all libraries are found

sudo cp -r ~/vipm-17.0.2018-linux/JKI /usr/local/
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrt*
sudo ln -sf "/usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2015/" "/usr/lib/"
sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrtdark.so.15.0.1" "/usr/local/lib/liblvrtdark.so.15.0"
sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/LabVIEW-2015/liblvrt.so.15.0.1" "/usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.15.0"

(anyway I tried it and does not magically allow connection to 21)

For allowing connection to LV, I had to open LV with sudo and from there configure the vi server port & authorization.
I navigated to the LV installation folder and open it via cli with sudo ./labview or something similar.
This, in my opinion, is because vipm is called by root and it uses root to call labview (it's my assumption!).

Indeed, if I recall it right, all the packages that are then installed, have user and group set to root.

• 1 year later...

Update, for those who may have missed, JKI published a beta for linux, which on one installation of mine connects flawlessly to LV21. Problem is, on another very similar one (both Ubuntu 20, both with LV14,19,21), it shows ony LV14 and 19, but not 21, among the list of available versions. And, for the life of me, I haven't found a way to make it recognize it. [This suggestion,  removing the Target section from Settings.ini is ineffective, probably outdated]

ETA: bingo: once I had also LV2020-64 installed on the second machine, and had a dead symlink /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/labview -> labviewprofull as a leftover of the removed installation. So this fools VIPM search algorithm, which stops at 2019. I had to peep into /usr/local/JKI/VIPM-2022.0.0.2355-beta/error to realize that.

Edited by ensegre