Maybe it's just me...

mabe

Here is the new revamped UI of NI TestStand 2020:

image.png.b2c4833c79617243c7f6769ac729a9bb.png 

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to work with the new color scheme of NI TestStand. My eyes are burning after few minutes... Am I the only one?

Here is the default UI colors of VS Code, the super popular code editor from MS. So much less stress for the eyes.

image.png.c25866b5aaa7514efc323b3f2bbbcbfc.png

Hoping for dark mode NI TestStand in a near future...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, mabe said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to work with the new color scheme of NI TestStand. My eyes are burning after few minutes... Am I the only one?

No, you are not the only one.  Unfortunately, this is the color scheme all NI products are going with.  Have you seen the LabVIEW 2020 SP1 Getting Started Window?

3 hours ago, mabe said:

I'll add my voice to that. When I ran Sequence Editor, I had an almost violent physical reaction. I don't mind the white as much (yes, I'd prefer something darker). I dislike the lack of clear contrasting colours on buttons, labels and the missing cognitive aids such as grids lines.

We were planning to transition to 2020 but we've decided to stick with 2019 instead. Pity; the new Quick-drop aka LV is really nice.

15 hours ago, crossrulz said:

Wow! Maybe next time they will default the VIs front panel to pure white too.

BTW, I don't understand why (after nearly 35 years) the block diagram color in LV is still part of the VI instead of an IDE preference. Even if I change my local setting to some gray for my VIs, I still get tons of VIs from other developers with the default burning pure white.

Edited by mabe
3 hours ago, mabe said:

Wow! Maybe next time they will default the VIs front panel to pure white too.

BTW, I don't understand why (after nearly 35 years) the block diagram color in LV is still part of the VI instead of an IDE preference. Even if I change my local setting to some gray for my VIs, I still get tons of VIs from other developers with the default burning pure white.

I do agree with you, but must confess that at least once in my dark past I have coloured a block diagram. It was a VI I hated and wanted to get rid of so I coloured the background an awful red colour to remind me every time I opened it.

3 hours ago, mabe said:

I colour my VI's occasionally for 2 reasons. 

1. To tell the difference between 32 and 64 bit. Both for LabVIEW version and when using conditional disables for 32/64 and OS's-especially with CLFN's).
  2. To mark sections of VI's that have problems or need revisiting.
  3. To mark VI's that are incomplete that i must come back to.

My own UIs, when I polish them, tend towards mostly white.  I could give NI some suggestions on how to improve that UI, but I wouldn't change the basic whiteness.

Although my UIs are graph heavy, which I find look better as all white.  In a UI whiteout graphs the reasoning is less strong.

Edited by drjdpowell

I definitely prefer the pre-SP colors and icons. The SP1 LabVIEW "20" Icon marking is completely unreadable...and the fonts, font sizes and layout of the welcome screen is all over the place. I do not understand how these things pass quality control🤮

Post-sigh:  And as always upgrading to SP1 the license is no longer supported by our Volume License Server (even though our SSP agreement runs for another year...) - so a manual request for an updated license is once again required...Rinse and repeat later for the 2021 release...😒

Edited by Mads