New to Source Control and looking for easy... safe solution

1. What type of source control software you are using?

Git on GitLab with Git Fork or Git Tower 

2. You love it, or hate it?

LOVE it!!

3. Are you forced to use this source control because it's the method used in your company, but you would rather use something else

We get to choose, and git is the scc system of our choice.

4. Pro's and Con's of the source control you are using?

Pro: Decentralised, very popular (i.e. many teams use it), very flexible, very fast, feature branches, tagging, ...
Con: Complicated to set up if using SSH, Exotic use cases/situations can be very hard to solve and sometimes need turning to the command line

5. Just how often does your source control software screw up and cause you major pain?

Never. It's always me (or another user) doing something wrong. For our internal team of 5, it never happens. For our customers, the occasional problem occurs.

As mentioned above, we use Git Fork and/or Git Tower as our graphical UIs to git. IMHO, using a graphical client is soo superior to working with git on the command line (but I'm posting to a LabVIEW forum, so who am I telling this?).

In order to avoid having to merge VIs (we actually do not allow that in our internal way of working), we use the gitflow workflow. It helps us with planning who's working on which parts of an application (repo). I honestly can count the number of unexpected merge conflicts in the last few years with one hand.

On top of git, many management systems like GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket etc. offer lots of functionality like merge requests, integration with issue tracking, and other project-management-type features.

Edited by joerghampel
  • Like 2

1. What type of source control software you are using?

Currently use Git for my LabVIEW work with my repos hosted on github.com

2. You love it, or hate it?

Love it. Sure there is a learning curve, but anything worth learning will take a bit of time.

3. Are you forced to use this source control because it's the method used in your company, but you would rather use something else

My choice. I have gone down the path of Nothing-->Zips-->SVN --> Mercurial --> Git   and am happy with git. I still have heaps to learn (even coming from pretty high competency with Mercurial), but I am treating this as an opportunity to get better.

4. Pro's and Con's of the source control you are using?

Pro: Lot's of resources out there to help me when I screw up. Git is ubiquitous now. I love the GitKraken client!

Con: Some of the things still confuse me a bit, especially how local and remote can have different branches.

5. Just how often does your source control software screw up and cause you major pain?

I don't think I have ever actually lost work or been caused major pain because of my misuse of source code control. Certainly I have made mistakes but have always managed to recover things. Contrasting this, I still sometimes lose stuff when I am being careless with documents that are not yet under any kind of control

In a nutshell I could not live without Source Code Control as a regular part of my daily workflow.