Ethercat for LabView2020 on Linux

I need to develop a LabView Ethercat-Master to exchange data with a ethercat- slave. I have looked into the IgH Ethercat- Master and the Simple Open EtherCAT Master Library.

The next step is to find out which Library is best suited to be used to developed the LabView functions. If there is a better library for this task or have you have already done something like this  free to reply:thumbup1:.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, Yaw Mensah said:

I need to develop a LabView Ethercat-Master to exchange data with a ethercat- slave. I have looked into the IgH Ethercat- Master and the Simple Open EtherCAT Master Library.

The next step is to find out which Library is best suited to be used to developed the LabView functions. If there is a better library for this task or have you have already done something like this  free to reply:thumbup1:.

If you would have used a LabVIEW Realtime controller you could have used the NI Industrial Communication for EtherCAT driver. It does have a learning curve for sure, but I have used it in the past successfully.

If you use other libraries you will have to make sure that it is 64-bit compiled in order to interface it through the LabVIEW Call Library Node. LabVIEW for Linux is since 2016 only available as 64 bit version.

Both libraries you mention are GPL, so this can have very significant consequences for using it in a project that you can't or will not want to make open source itself.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
On 3/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, Yaw Mensah said:

The NI Industrial Communication for EtherCAT driver is only supported for windows. I will look for other possibilities. Maybe somebody have already tried to interface a Ethercat dll before and i can get some good suggestions.

No! We used it on a IC 3173 NI Linux RT controller.

It should supposedly work on all NI Linux RT hardware.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
  • 4 weeks later...