Detect a camera with IMAQdx Open Camera VI

Hi,

I’m trying to interface a camera using the UDP protocol thanks to Vision, unfortunately i struggle to detect it with the « IMAQdx Open Camera VI » or NI MAX.

However, I can get data in string form when I use the classic VIs during a UDP communication, which means that I can receive the data from the camera but I can't get it under Vision.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Camera UDP.vi

On 4/23/2021 at 7:07 PM, coco822 said:

Hi,

I’m trying to interface a camera using the UDP protocol thanks to Vision, unfortunately i struggle to detect it with the « IMAQdx Open Camera VI » or NI MAX.

However, I can get data in string form when I use the classic VIs during a UDP communication, which means that I can receive the data from the camera but I can't get it under Vision.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Camera UDP.vi 50.32 kB · 1 download

IMAQdx Open Camera VI accesses the IMAQdx driver API which only can recognize certain types of cameras that must themselves somehow announce to the system.

For Webcam cameras this happens through the dedicated camera driver that is installed in the OS system and which installs the camera in the Windows DirectShow system which IMAQdx can access. For other Cameras it depends on the camera. Firewire cameras install in the Fireware driver stack which IMAQdx also can access. But Network cameras are an entirely different beast. IMAQdx has functionality to work with such cameras as long as they support the Genicam standard, which is part of the GigE standard (although not every GigE camera implements this properly and therefore may not be compatible with IMAQdx). Any other camera is NOT automatically supported by IMAQdx. If you want to access it in IMAQdx you have to install them as a Windows DirectShow device with an according DirectShow or kernel driver. In your case you are wanting to find most likely an RTP-UDP DirectShow driver for your camera. There are many around on the internet, most not for free, and all of them require you to setup the actual camera URL in the driver settings.

18 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

IMAQdx Open Camera VI accesses the IMAQdx driver API which only can recognize certain types of cameras that must themselves somehow announce to the system.

For Webcam cameras this happens through the dedicated camera driver that is installed in the OS system and which installs the camera in the Windows DirectShow system which IMAQdx can access. For other Cameras it depends on the camera. Firewire cameras install in the Fireware driver stack which IMAQdx also can access. But Network cameras are an entirely different beast. IMAQdx has functionality to work with such cameras as long as they support the Genicam standard, which is part of the GigE standard (although not every GigE camera implements this properly and therefore may not be compatible with IMAQdx). Any other camera is NOT automatically supported by IMAQdx. If you want to access it in IMAQdx you have to install them as a Windows DirectShow device with an according DirectShow or kernel driver. In your case you are wanting to find most likely an RTP-UDP DirectShow driver for your camera. There are many around on the internet, most not for free, and all of them require you to setup the actual camera URL in the driver settings.

Thank you very much for this comprehensive answer. 
I will try this.