LabVIEW Is Awesome

I just spent a whole day setting up a VM and installing an older version of LV with the right toolkits and driver versions needed on my deployment machine because... versions and toolkits are incompatible and exclusive from one another. 10s of GB most of them useless for my purpose.

Awesome.

9 hours ago, X___ said:

I just spent a whole day setting up a VM and installing an older version of LV with the right toolkits and driver versions needed on my deployment machine because... versions and toolkits are incompatible and exclusive from one another. 10s of GB most of them useless for my purpose.

Awesome.

I didn't say perfect...

On 5/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, X___ said:

I just spent a whole day setting up a VM and installing an older version of LV

Not sure if you are past this point or not, but be sure and take a VM snapshot at some point.  Having a fresh VM for a semi-standard environment like LabVIEW 2017 SP1 with DAQmx, Vision, RT (or whatever is common for your industry) is super useful.  Taking this another step you can have a snapshot for each project too.  Sharing this with team members can be a pain, so I generally just go through this process at the end, or near the end of a project, then archive the VM somewhere on the network for safe keeping.  

8 hours ago, hooovahh said:

Not sure if you are past this point or not, but be sure and take a VM snapshot at some point.  Having a fresh VM for a semi-standard environment like LabVIEW 2017 SP1 with DAQmx, Vision, RT (or whatever is common for your industry) is super useful.  Taking this another step you can have a snapshot for each project too.  Sharing this with team members can be a pain, so I generally just go through this process at the end, or near the end of a project, then archive the VM somewhere on the network for safe keeping.  

Could be useful, especially since I do not store the LV code in the VM but on the host machine, so essentially, there is only the development environment in it. It is backed up with the rest of my machine though.