Draw Text Picture VIs

In The Draw Text at a Point VI under the user-specified font there are two settings that I do not understand.

-Outline - seems like it should put a black outline or something around the text. as far as i can tell it doesn't do anything.

-Shadow - seems like it should put a darker outline around part of the text. as far as i can tell it doesn't do anything.

How do these work or lack there of?

image.png.3744dfb0b596e934e9638527f0c914a7.png

18 hours ago, Taylorh140 said:

In The Draw Text at a Point VI under the user-specified font there are two settings that I do not understand.

-Outline - seems like it should put a black outline or something around the text. as far as i can tell it doesn't do anything.

-Shadow - seems like it should put a darker outline around part of the text. as far as i can tell it doesn't do anything.

How do these work or lack there of?

image.png.3744dfb0b596e934e9638527f0c914a7.png

This very much depends on the used font. Not all fonts specify glyphs for all these attributes. If it doesn't, the attribute request is simply ignored and the font is drawn in the basic form. LabVIEW doesn't draw these texts, it just passes the request to Windows GDI (or Unix XWindows, or MacOS Quartz) and tells it to do its work).

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
  • Thanks 1

I tried to do a test to see if any of the windows fonts do anything. (forgive the long image). I'm starting to wonder if windows has this function in any form.

perhaps there are some fonts that do work but the ones included with windows do not seem to do much:
image.png.2891181ac46bce62529086c7055b02f6.png

Edited by Taylorh140
duplicate image