What's new in LabVIEW 2021

Better GIT integration is fine, I use TortoiseGIT and have had LVCompare integrated for several years. Shame LVCompare is only available to those with a Professional license, LVCompare should be available on all licenses, to encourage use of SCC.

• Like 1

Just watched it, it's underwhelming. The first feature was "improved Matlab integration" followed by Python... You don't really expect much if they start with better 3rd party software integrations. And then there was the Future of LabVIEW slide:

image.png.4b82508225e3f54df6619297ff6acddb.png

That's just a bunch of generic slogans and integrations of niche products... Don't see any clear idea of the direction here.

For those who don't want to watch the video, the list of improvements is also published in the Public Beta: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-2021-Public-Beta/LabVIEW-2021-Beta-Now-Available/td-p/4144143

2 hours ago, PiDi said:

You don't really expect much if they start with better 3rd party software integrations.

I don't think that's a bad thing. NI can't exist as a silo and still hope to be relevant to the rest of the world.

Better interoperability makes it easier to justify using LabVIEW in a multi-technology environment (which is often the case in large organizations), and makes it easier for scientists and engineers to start using LabVIEW.

2 hours ago, PiDi said:

And then there was the Future of LabVIEW slide:

That's just a bunch of generic slogans and integrations of niche products... Don't see any clear idea of the direction here.

Yeah, those are a bit vague.

The second half of the list sounds like the porting over of features from NXG, which seems like a sensible direction (consolidate existing features before coming up with new ones)

9 hours ago, mcduff said:

Maybe not a new feature, but somewhere in the talk they mentioned a 2021 LabVIEW license would give you access to Windows, Linux, and Mac versions, no separate purchases required.

O RLY?  I'm not a Mac or Linux desktop user, but that might give me a reason to experiment in Linux and LabVIEW if the license and software is included with our SSP.

"Improved Python node now supports 3.6 through 3.9"

We've been calling 3.9 with LabVIEW 2019 without a glitch. Not exactly sure what "support" means in this context.

_ _ _

Different topic... If the statement below were a regular expression, wouldn't a "?" be more appropriate? It would stand a better chance of matching at least one element 😉
image.png.a0381a215b2a7237fad026f4841671b5.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Francois Normandin said:

Different topic... If the statement below were a regular expression, wouldn't a "?" be more appropriate? It would stand a better chance of matching at least one element 😉

image.png.a0381a215b2a7237fad026f4841671b5.png

I couldn't help noticing this, when the presenter said "what we're working on for LabVIEW 2022 and - beyond."

But hey... Let's be positive and hopeful.

I'm looking forward to playing with G Web Dev Software.

1 minute ago, Antoine Chalons said:

I'm looking forward to playing with G Web Dev Software.

I was beginning to work with the NXG version and integrate it into some of our products. Then stomped on the brakes when they cancelled NXG. Now that it looks like they’ll make good on spinning it off into a standalone product I’ll be giving it a fresh look. Especially now that we have a SystemLink license. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, bjustice said:

I don't understand this website.  They are pushing this whole "chat with other attendees", but there are no chatrooms?  You have to search for someone by name?

Remember back than when National Instruments changed to NI and from blue to green?

There was a chat and they got a hell of a shitstorm. I would asume they tried to prevent that from happening again.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, hooovahh said:

O RLY?  I'm not a Mac or Linux desktop user, but that might give me a reason to experiment in Linux and LabVIEW if the license and software is included with our SSP.

Yes, fore sure. Even existing licenses will get this "feature". So one license fits all OSes. The restriction with user or computer based will still stay the same.