Given a LabVIEW exe what is the best way to install NI prerequisites?

It just so happens that sometimes I am suppose to reproduce a test system made by a customer. There may have been an installer at one point but no-one knows anymore

2RXV3M.gif

and they don't want to share the source vis.

In the past i have download each NI library installed on that particular PC and installed it on the other until i get it all to play nicely.

However it takes some time and is quite tedious. 

Is this the only way? 

I've been there a few times.

The treasure hunt is not really fun.

2 suggestions :

- if MAX is installed, you can see from there the NI drivers - and versions - installed, that's a good starting point. Careful though, if it's installed doesn't mean it's required for the application to run.

- if MAX is not installed, I would go to the uninstall utility of Windows and select National Instruments Software, this will launch the uninstall utility of NI, it displays everything installed

Also, you say the customer doesn't want to share the source, but if they have it, maybe you can tell them how to get the information you need.

2 hours ago, Antoine Chalons said:

- if MAX is not installed, I would go to the uninstall utility of Windows and select National Instruments Software, this will launch the uninstall utility of NI, it displays everything installed

If it's a new-ish installation, the uninstall utility is replaced by NIPM. But that does also provide a comprehensive list of installed NI software.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:04 PM, Taylorh140 said:

and they don't want to share the source vis.

And they are aware that you will need more time for that?

Are you payed on an hourly basis?

Is there a rational why they do not want to share the source code?

Is an NDA possible so that they can share the source code?

@FantasticNerd I don't make the rules, as far as this particular situation I can only speculate why. I would guess NDA would be required as well as other complicated approvals. 

In this case we are requesting a installer/setup procedure. but these things take time, in the meanwhile we are limited in testing. 

It's great the MAX/NIPM have a list of installed stuff. This is typically where i start too.

Now wouldn't it be nice if NI just had a utility that looked at the exe, and made an installer that had all the components :). 

On 8/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, Taylorh140 said:

Now wouldn't it be nice if NI just had a utility that looked at the exe, and made an installer that had all the components :). 

I do not think there is any company that will provide you with a tool to scan the Executable you build.

Could something similar exist for a C++ or C# Application? Like scan the Application wich DLLs and Libraries are used?

I don't think so, to be honest.