How Can I burn CD in LabVIEW?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,Jim

The CIT's product need money to pay.

Is there articles or document to describe the detail?

5410[/snapback]

Not all good things come for free ;-)

But if your requirements are not that complicated you could probably get away with calling a command line tool for your favorite CD burning software through the System Exec.vi. Most CD burning packages come with an executable you can call with command line parameters to make it do certain tasks such as copying one or more directories to the CD, etc. How this is done is entirely dependant on your CD burning software and you will need to refer to your manual or online documentation or research that on the manufacturers web site.

Unless your time does not cost anything I would however expect the price of that Toolkit to be less expensive than to even try to get your own solution working.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 3 weeks later...

I would not recommend trying to burn a CD directly from your LabVIEW application. The problems are not technical, but more an issue of making your code unecessarily complex and more prone to failure.

For example:

1. Burning a CD requires that a blank CD is placed (by a human or trained primate) in the CD Drive.

2. The CD must actually be blank or have space for the data to be stored.

3. The CD could already have data on it so it would be adding data to the existing volume.

4. During the burn - a path or file with the same name could be added - causing a rename/overwrite prompt.

5. For whatever reason the burn could fail.

Just trying to handle the 5 most likely problems that may occur associated with burning a CD - You could dedicate quite a bit of time creating a basic CD burn function with some rudedamenty error checking.

It's common for some very nice working acqusistion code to quickly snowball into a Web access, database, reporting generating, eMail the user on error monsterous code, which will likely not do anthing well.

Try to draw a line where adding features does not make the application fundamentally better. Adding features to make something easier for the user - is not always the best thing for the application. Many times is can only increase the chance the code will stop for errors.

Take a look at the code size of a basic CD burning package and consider if you can do the same in a VI or two. That maybe the reason that CIT is charging 500 euros for the driver package. You still have to by Nero Burning.

I've learned to try not to get caught-up in 'fluff' feature enchancements in code. I would really, really need a very good reason to add CD burning into LabVIEW.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

I've learned to try not to get caught-up in 'fluff' feature enchancements in code. I would really, really need a very good reason to add CD burning into LabVIEW.

5888[/snapback]

Some organizational processes use CD burning as a way to achieve FDA Validation. This is a pretty good reason.

• 2 weeks later...