User defined glyphs in icon editor

Deep_Blue

To create user defined glyphs in the icon editor the Windows documentation states the correct place for the .png files is under the \LabVIEW Data\Glyphs\.

Using 32-bit LabVIEW 2016 with OpenSuse Leap 42.3 the location should IMHO be ~/natinst/LabVIEW Data/Glyphs but this does not seem to work.

I have tested that the glyph files can be loaded from wherever, so the file format is correct, but I would like LabVIEW to load these to the Glyphs menu in Icon editor.

Refresh does not help. I'm thinking the glyph files are probably in incorrect folder.

Has anyone managed to accomplish this, and could you give me a hand with configuring this?

I managed to figure out the solution to this, so will share it here.

In this article there was a mention of the setting, that defines where LabVIEW will look for the icons and glyphs.

In Options/Paths the default value for the "Default Data Directory" path is /root/natinst/LabVIEW Data.

=> this then is the correct place for also the user defined glyphs, and I can verify that this works.

After any change, do delete the Glyphs.<LVversion>.bin file in the same folder. This will force the LV to recreate the glyph cache, no need to restart LabVEW.

This issue arose from the fact that I could not easily figure out a way to fix the glaring font issue in the icon editor, so to go around that I decided to create the letters I use in icons as glyphs instead.

These might come in handy for other users as well so I'm sharing them here.

Letters.zip

There are better solutions for this I'm sure, thus this is only a stop gap hack.

Edited by Deep_Blue

Hi LogMAN,

thank you for the reply, it does indeed.

However attempting to fix the issue with the instructions on that page offered no help for me with this issue. Specifically, even if there at one point were useful information, the links are not working anymore.

I created another issue, so if there are any good solutions, the rest of the conversation can be continued here:

https://lavag.org/topic/22205-font-issue-in-icon-editor/

Edited by Deep_Blue