Help Me To Create NAS Server!

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. My query is like this. I want to create a NAS server at home. Can it be made with Raspberry pi? If yes, then can anyone provide me a guide to create it? And what else can be built with that home server? Any kind of feedback would be highly appreciated.

Well this all depends on what you have, what your budget is, and what purpose the NAS serves.  I have lots of random half working computers, so for me making a NAS was about reusing what I could, and upgrading what.  I also use mine for a Plex server, and for that I wanted hardware accelerated transcoding, which means an external GPU.  So for me a Pi wouldn't work very well at all.  But if you are more concerned with power consumption, and formfactor then a Pi might be a good option.  For that there's lots of tutorials and configurations, with the easiest just being a USB hard drive connected.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Keven Schiller said:
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. My query is like this. I want to create a NAS server at home. Can it be made with Raspberry pi? If yes, then can anyone provide me a guide to create it? And what else can be built with that home server? Any kind of feedback would be highly appreciated.

You are aware that the storage of a Raspberry Pi is actually an SD Flash card? These have a fairly limited lifetime if written to often. So I don't think a Raspberry Pi would be a great platform for a NAS. Maybe if you use a Raspberry Pi Compute Module. You can get them with onboard eMMC Flash memory which is more reliable than an SD card. Still it is soldered on the board and when the flash memory eventually dies (all flash memory eventually dies if you write often to it) then the whole module is bad.

• Like 1
On 9/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, ASTDan said:

My experience with Raspberry PI is they take a lot of work to get to do what you want.  And then it isn't that great.

For NAS I use these

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-expert-series-ex2-ultra#WDBVBZ0000NCH-NESN

Easy to use and good quality.  My time is worth more than dinking with a PI....

Even though this thread feels suspicious, I'll say that WD product looks pretty awesome, and not a bad price if you provide your own drives.

The only real stuff I've done with a Pi has been following other peoples' tutorials.  And for that it works pretty well.  As soon as you need to deviate from something someone else has done is when I see the time dinking happening.  If you are making a standard retro console, a 3D printer controller, or NAS, I feel like the Pi is a decent fit since you just do what others have done.  Here is the first NAS Pi tutorial I found.  But again that WD solution is pretty good since various Pi kits seem to be approaching that price anyway.  For me I already had a rackmount PC with a couple of drive bays that work was throwing out.  I then put in a crappy dual Xeon board from craigslist as a start, and then slowly upgraded pieces as needed.  But my needs were more for a torrent box, Plex server, web server, and NAS combined.

17 minutes ago, hooovahh said:

Even though this thread feels suspicious, I'll say that WD product looks pretty awesome, and not a bad price if you provide your own drives.

The only real stuff I've done with a Pi has been following other peoples' tutorials.  And for that it works pretty well.  As soon as you need to deviate from something someone else has done is when I see the time dinking happening.  If you are making a standard retro console, a 3D printer controller, or NAS, I feel like the Pi is a decent fit since you just do what others have done.  Here is the first NAS Pi tutorial I found.  But again that WD solution is pretty good since various Pi kits seem to be approaching that price anyway.  For me I already had a rackmount PC with a couple of drive bays that work was throwing out.  I then put in a crappy dual Xeon board from craigslist as a start, and then slowly upgraded pieces as needed.  But my needs were more for a torrent box, Plex server, web server, and NAS combined.

I didn't want to tinker and simply bought a Synologic dual drive bay NAS and put in two WD Red Plus Drives configured as simple RAID 1 mirroring for better safety. I use it as SVN server, private web server, and NAS mainly but also started setting up Jira on it, and Maria DB for tinkering with some web DB development to deploy it eventually on a real website.

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter
9 minutes ago, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

I didn't want to tinker and simply bought a Synologic dual drive bay NAS and put in two WD Red Plus Drives configured as simple RAID 1 mirroring for better safety.

I've heard good things about them.  I see their stuff go on sale often too.  The last deal I remember was for a 2 bay Synology NAS for $230 during Prime day.

Synology is great. I recommend that for friends who are interested and also put them into a few small offices when asked for some minor IT consulting.

At home I run TrueNAS (FreeNAS) in a rackmount server. I like it quite a lot, but it's a bit more hands on. Not terribly so though and you can pick up used server equipment pretty inexpensively.

2 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

Synology is great, I love it for my home NAS.

But.... I have a strong suspicion we are all having a sensible conversation in response to a spam original post. 😂

The original post sounded fairly innocent, albeit maybe with a bit strange wording. But I have seen a lot worse than that. The response from the OP however has indeed a VERY strong spam score. 🙂

At the risk of tempting fate...

I've a Synolgy that I've had for about 8 years. It's had 4 drives fail in that time but I've never lost any data and still quiet as a mouse (except when the virus scanner is running). I use it in RAID 5 which can bear 1 drive going down at a time (it's a 6 bay chassis) and it's been fine for me. When it says that the dead cluster count has increased, I order a new drive. When it's telling me every day the count on  a drive has increased, it's probably a week or two away from failure (from experience). You get plenty of warnings when something is on it's way out.

+1 as a Synology fan-boy.

I've been using Synology at work for about 6 years and at home now for 2 years. Although the initial price tag seems high, the amount of time you save in setup and maintenance (vs my old open media vault setup) pays for itself. I also set it up in RAID5. I've had 1 disk fail, I was notified right away and was able to replace it with no downtime or data loss.

The Synology's collection of apps for small business are quite powerful, allowing easy setup of automated snapshots, backups, remote backups (and recovery). You can even set it up to be a domain controller.

Hopefully Open Media Vault will someday fully embrace BTRFS and integrate its setup and maintenance into the web UI. But until then, I'm sticking with Synology.