---->Compatibility issues with Labview<----

I often use versions 6.1 and 7.0 of LabVIEW and have noticed that while LabVIEW 7.0/7.1 is backwards compatible, earlier versions of LabVIEW cannot open 7.0 vi's. This is a problem, as I require to open 7.0 vi's in 6.1. Is it possible to convert 7.0/7.1 vi's to 6.1 vi's if the source code is uniform for both?

Hi Again:

Pretty sure that in any particular version you can use save as... to save a vi in a for compatible to the more recent earlier versions.

In other words, from 7.1 you can use Save As... to save a vi in the format for version 6.x. But you have to do it there... When version 6.x was written, no one knew for sure what was going to be in version 7.x, so version 6 can't possibly have a clue as to what's different about a version 7 vi, so it can't safely open them.

Not to sound like a broken record, but best bet would be to get all systems upgraded to the latest version, if there is any way you can do that :) Otherwise you are spending a LOT of time trying to keep things under control with multiple versions of the language. :headbang: Programming is hard enough as it is...

Best Luck, Louis

As far as recompiling everything, Labview only includes the ability to recompile VI's back 1 version. So if You want to convert a VI from version 7.1 to version 6.1, you need to follow the steps below.

open the VI in Labview 7.1, and save for previous version 7.0

open the VI in Labview 7.0, and save for previous version 6.1

As for compatibility between versions, labview 6.1 will not open a VI written in 7.1.

You have a few options here.

1. Write everything in 1 version of Labview

2. Write ALL you VI's in the earlier version of Labview, and treat them as read only. You can then call them in both versions of Labview, the read only part will keep the system from recompiling them to a newer version.

3. Fork your VI's, make 2 versions, one for the old, and one version in the latest version. You may be forced to do this, especially if you have VI's that use new features.

Hope this Helps.

As far as recompiling everything, Labview only includes the ability to recompile VI's back 1 version.  So if You want to convert a VI from version 7.1 to version 6.1, you need to follow the steps below.

open the VI in Labview 7.1, and save for previous version 7.0

open the VI in Labview 7.0, and save for previous version 6.1

As for compatibility between versions, labview 6.1 will not open a VI written in 7.1. 

You have a few options here.

1. Write everything in 1 version of Labview

2. Write ALL you VI's in the earlier version of Labview, and treat them as read only.  You can then call them in both versions of Labview, the read only part will keep the system from recompiling them to a newer version.

3. Fork your VI's, make 2 versions, one for the old, and one version in the latest version.  You may be forced to do this, especially if you have VI's that use new features.

Hope this Helps.

5423[/snapback]

Aww... to bad I don't have LabVIEW 7.1....so if I can't use d/led 7.1 libraries :blink: . Oh well, I can always nag my dept. to get it. Thanks anyway.