Ramer-Douglas-Peucker algorithm - Reducing points for DB storing

Hi

Some of our oscilloscope measurement hold 50000 samples. I don't want to fill up our DB with so many records so I was looking for an algorithm for reducing the amount of point and still have a reasonable presentation of the graph in the DB.

I was told about the Ramer-Douglas-Peucker algorithm. Does anyone know about a LabVIEW implementation of this algorithm?
Or is there another good solution to the task?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Bjarne

For logging of some of our more erratic parameters we are looking at using this algorithm. It is called "Largest-Triangle-Three-Buckets" and is quite simple to implement.

For more gradually changing values (tempeatures or pressures e.g.) I found a nice compression algorithm many years ago that was patent-protected by GE at the time. The patent is expired now though, so it should be usable. I have attached a demo of that one here (run CACF_Demo and generate a fluctuating value with the slider to see how it compresses the data), it is called the Critical Aperture Convergence Filter.

Critical Aperture Convergence Filter.zip

Edited by Mads