Selecting a portion of a plot displayed on a graph

I have an application where I'm displaying multiple plots on a waveform graph. I would like to be able to draw a visible box (using the mouse) around a subset of the data, and then return the plot points thus selected. I first thought cursors (having them snap to the current mouse position on a mouse down event) - but there's no way to "draw" a box on a graph using cursors as far as I can tell. Plan B might be to use the box zoom tool, allowing the user to select a portion of the graph, after zooming to get the max/min of the graph, then undo the zoom (all the while deferring panel updates so the user can't see what's going on), but this seems like a hassle and it doesn't appear that deferring panel updates holds for zooming (the graph is updated in spite of the setting). Can anyone think of a better way?

What about checking for mouse-down / mouse-up events and positioning a square decoration accordingly? When you're finished you could move it off-screen.

What about overlaying a transparent picture control on the graph--or do you need to use the graph for other things besides just looking at it? You can do a lot of things with a picture control.

Just some ideas to maybe hack something together.