Icon visibility in Windows

Hello,

I was wondering whether it is possible to allow the icon in the upper-right hand corner of LV to be displayed in windows prior to opening. I already have an icon designed for my program and it would draw the user's attention much faster if it were visible prior to running. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand.

You say you don't have the application builder. I assume this means that you run your app as a VI, right?

In that case, you can either

a) change its extension, link the new extension to LV (so it opens it automatically) and give it your icon icon or

b) create a shortcut to your VI, right click the shortcut, select "Properties" and then "Change Icon" and find your icon file.

You will need to save it as an .ico file first.

I'm not sure I understand.

You say you don't have the application builder. I assume this means that you run your app as a VI, right?

In that case, you can either

a) change its extension, link the new extension to LV (so it opens it automatically) and give it your icon icon or

b) create a shortcut to your VI, right click the shortcut, select "Properties" and then "Change Icon" and find your icon file.

You will need to save it as an .ico file first.

5600[/snapback]

Yes, I did used to run my program as a VI, but i recently received LV 7.1 and an app builder... so I will use your previous advice (I want the actual app to have the icon while preserving the extension). The reason why my organization runs LV programs as VIs is because LabVIEW is installed on every computer we use. Thus, it makes it easy to modify code if we want to quickly change the behavior of the program. However, I can make copies of the object and source code for that matter. Thanks for the help! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I was wondering whether it is possible to allow the icon in the upper-right hand corner of LV to be displayed in windows prior to opening.  I already have an icon designed for my program and it would draw the user's attention much faster if it were visible prior to running.  Any help on this would be much appreciated.

5580[/snapback]

Why not just create a shortcut the VI you want the user to run? Shortcuts in Windows can be assigned any icon you wish. If you play with the basic icon defaults of ALL vi's in your system then this can get confusing since ALL VI's will show this new icon. Not a good thing to do. This is the primary use-case for shortcuts. To create custom icons for launching specific files.