PCI-6220 analog input configuration

ayumisano

Dear all,

I am trying to use "Measurement and Automation explorer" to configure a piece of device PCI-6220 with accessory SCB-68. I have tried running self-test and it was ok. When I tried creating a new traditional NI-DAQ virtual channel at "Data Neighborhood" and I chose "Analog Input" --> "Voltage", but there is no hardware available for me to choose at the last step. I would like to know whether I did anything wrong (e.g it shouldn't be "virtual channel", etc).

Thank you very much for your attention!!

:headbang:

Ayumi

I curretnly have no hardware in my PC to check, but if I remember correctly, what happens if you right click on the device listed in max- do you get an option to reset it to traditional?

Only did this once, and it was a long time ago, but I do know that the option is there somewhere within MAX.

5679[/snapback]

It not possible to run the NI-6220 card with traditional NI-DAQ. You have to use the DAQmx driver, as best in version 7.4. Here you can configure most NI cards in the MAX even by simulation. Once created you can open a test panel to play with the hardware. As an easy programming start, use the DAQ assistant included with DAQmx libraries.

Wolfram

It not possible to run the NI-6220 card with traditional NI-DAQ. You have to use the DAQmx driver, as best in version 7.4. Here you can configure most NI cards in the MAX even by simulation. Once created you can open a test panel to play with the hardware. As an easy programming start, use the DAQ assistant included with DAQmx libraries.

Wolfram

5682[/snapback]

Thank you for your reply! :)

I can see the icon PCI-6220 on the left hand side in the list under NI-DAQmx in MAX and I could run the test panel and there was signal, but when I ran LabVIEW and tried to use this hardware with those examples provided by LabVIEW, it told me that the device was not yet configured. I have no idea what I should do to configure PCI-6220.

Moreover, I would like to know whether the resolution of PCI-6220 is high enough to detect 200mV voltage.

Thank you very much!!

Thank you for your reply!  :)

I can see the icon PCI-6220 on the left hand side in the list under NI-DAQmx in MAX and I could run the test panel and there was signal, but when I ran LabVIEW and tried to use this hardware with those examples provided by LabVIEW, it told me that the device was not yet configured. I have no idea what I should do to configure PCI-6220.

Moreover, I would like to know whether the resolution of PCI-6220 is high enough to detect 200mV voltage.

Thank you very much!!

5685[/snapback]

Use the DAQ assistant included with DAQmx libraries to start. You can find it in the diagram's functions palette "NI Measurements"-> "DAQmx - Data Acquisition" -> DAQ Assistant (left bottom corner). Once you have configured the measurement with the assistant.

Now open the front panel by right click on the DAQ assistant icon on the diagram and choose "Convert". Now you can see how the measurement has to be programmed with DAQmx drivers. The resolution of the 6220 card is 16bit. So, if you select a range from -5 to 5 Volts the resolution is 10 Volts divided by 65536 = 152,5

Dear all,

I am trying to use "Measurement and Automation explorer" to configure a piece of device PCI-6220 with accessory SCB-68. I have tried running self-test and it was ok. When I tried creating a new traditional NI-DAQ virtual channel at "Data Neighborhood" and I chose "Analog Input" --> "Voltage", but there is no hardware available for me to choose at the last step. I would like to know whether I did anything wrong (e.g it shouldn't be "virtual channel", etc).

Ayumi

5672[/snapback]

Why don*t you try the daqmx VI's???

There are many examples for DAQMX!

best regards,

s

Use the DAQ assistant included with DAQmx libraries to start. You can find it in the diagram's functions palette "NI Measurements"-> "DAQmx - Data Acquisition" -> DAQ Assistant (left bottom corner). Once you have configured the measurement with the assistant.

Now open the front panel by right click on the DAQ assistant icon on the diagram and choose "Convert". Now you can see how the measurement has to be programmed with DAQmx drivers. The resolution of the 6220 card is 16bit. So, if you select a range from -5 to 5 Volts the resolution is 10 Volts divided by 65536 = 152,5

Thank you for your reply!

I cannot find any examples for DAQmx. Do you mean the examples under "Help" --> "Find examples" in LabVIEW?? There is no NI-DAQmx...

Ayumi

5701[/snapback]

Hi Ayumi,

DAQmx was released starting with LV 7.0. Older hardware will work with the old-style DAQ as well as DAQmx.

Newer hardware will ONLY work with DAQmx. You should check your hardware, and if it is newer, then it may not work with LV 6.1

Newer versions of LV will continue to support the older style DAQ as well, so as not to break your old projects.

A good way to know if your particular device is supported in LV 6.1 (old style DAQ) is to:

open NI-MAX>Devices & Interfaces>DAQ & see if your card shows up there. Do a "refresh" (F5) just to make sure.

If you don't see it there, then it is a newer device supported only by DAQmx.

Neville.

Dear all,

Ayumi

5672[/snapback]

Ayumi,

the 6220 is an M-series device.. one of the newer ones released at the time DAQmx was introduced. It will not work with LV 6.1.

Neville

Ayumi,

the 6220 is an M-series device.. one of the newer ones released at the time DAQmx was introduced.  It will not work with LV 6.1.

Neville

5737[/snapback]

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have not yet got LabVIEW 7.1 on hand, so I have just installed the evaluation version of LabVIEW 7.0, but it still cannot read the signal from PCI-6220 with LabVIEW. I do not know which example I should use. I think the evaluation version does not have as many examples as the liscensed one, right??

Ayumi