I need to run a new .rtexe deployed into a cRIO without rebooting.

pcortes

Hello guys,

I need to deploy a startup.rtexe into my cRIO-9049 (from LabVIEW Project Explorer or CLI, whatever), and I need to use the ./nilvrt start and ./nilvrt stop commands to start and stop the RT App respectively, at will. I noted that it is mandatory to reboot the cRIO after deploying the .rtexe to use the  ./nilvrt start and ./nilvrt stop. However, I must avoid rebooting the cRIO (because of my customer requirements). I was trying to find a setting for this, but the only file I found related to the startup.rtexe is the /etc/natinst/share/lvrt.conf file with the token RTTarget.LaunchAppAtBoot. This key is set to True when the Run As Startup option is selected from the LabVIEW Project Explorer. I put this key in False to check if this allows me to run the RT App without rebooting the cRIO, but this did not help 😔.

Is there another config file to be modified in order to support what I need to do? 

Is it completely necessary to reboot the cRIO to recognize the new .rtexe and use the ./nilvrt start and ./nilvrt stop commands?

Thanks!

You are trying to avoid a soft reboot as well I assume, not just a power cycle..(which would not be necessary anyway).

You can issue a killall lvrt command through the ssl interface and it will restart the application, so if you replace the executable then do that you migth suceed (have not tried), here are two related threads:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Discussions/quick-software-restart/td-p/3407711

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/Running-a-Real-Time-executable-from-inside-the-CRIO/td-p/3570063

Edited by Mads