WATS Virinco System Link Comparison

SebastienM

MOD EDIT: Topic split from here

On 1/30/2023 at 5:55 AM, ShaunR said:

We shall see. The "Fat Lady" hasn't sung yet and Emerson shareholders seem more than a little unhappy about the takeover. I'm still bullish on this failing despite Dr T's intervention.

The more I look at it, the more this seems like taking out the competition as opposed to diversifying and entering new markets. I think System Link was probably the trigger for this as it could, in the future, take Emersons offerings head-on and provide a far more superior top-to-bottom solution given NI's driver, LabVIEW and Test Stand support.

Well 2 years ago I saw a demo of System Link by a Ni salesman and that was a huge buggy disaster, absolutely giant failure.

I convinced my company to use WATS of Virinco instead : best choice ever.

2 hours ago, SebastienM said:

Well 2 years ago I saw a demo of System Link by a Ni salesman and that was a huge buggy disaster, absolutely giant failure.

I convinced my company to use WATS of Virinco instead : best choice ever.

Well. They are not really equivalent. System Link is, first and foremost, a configuration and asset management tool. Buggy? Maybe (I haven't looked recently) but that could be addressed. WATS is specifically a data analytics tool. WATS has more in common with Diadem than System Link.

2 hours ago, ShaunR said:

Well. They are not really equivalent. System Link is, first and foremost, a configuration and asset management tool. Buggy? Maybe (I haven't looked recently) but that could be addressed. WATS is specifically a data analytics tool. WATS has more in common with Diadem than System Link.

I have to disagree. Yes WATS is a data analytics tool.

But it is also a configuration tool with modules like software, firmware, serial and MAC distribution, and asset management.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:03 AM, ShaunR said:

Nope. All these configuration modules are available through the WATS web application.

Here an example for software distribution :

https://virinco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210511203-Getting-started-with-Software-Distribution

I have to precise that I'm currently not using these modules but plan to, and that I'm a TestStand user.

Maybe we should create another post to talk about WATS. My point here is that I don't trust System Link and I trust less and less NI.

Edited by SebastienM
On 2/1/2023 at 1:27 PM, SebastienM said:

Nope. All these configuration modules are available through the WATS web application.

Here an example for software distribution :

https://virinco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210511203-Getting-started-with-Software-Distribution

I have to precise that I'm currently not using these modules but plan to, and that I'm a TestStand user.

Maybe we should create another post to talk about WATS. My point here is that I don't trust System Link and I trust less and less NI.

Does this work for cRIO and RT targets? Raspberry Pi running LV?

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 8:43 PM, Jordan Kuehn said:

Does this work for cRIO and RT targets? Raspberry Pi running LV?

My bad, it's possible to have it running for an RT target.

Here is the answer from Virinco :

2 main options :

1. Create reports on the RT system or host machine in WSXF, WSTF or WSJF format. Install the WATS Client on a host machine running windows and place the file in one of the folders to transfer (WATS Client installes these converters by default)
  2. Submit the file to using rest API https://virinco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014879119-Post-WSJF