Package installation on sbRIO9627

Mattia Fontana

Hi all, 

I am trying to install an external package, OPENG ZIP library, on an sbRIO 9627. I currently work with LabView 2021, I installed on the sbRIO RT Linux version 21.8 and LabVIEW 2021, but the OPENG ZIP library does not appear in the list of available packages in the MAX. I already enabled the offline installation and installed the library on my system via VIPM 2021, I can see it in LabVIEW and correctly write code using the library VIs. 

Moreover, everything was working smoothly on LabVIEW 2019.

How can I solve this problem? 

Thanks in advance

I've never used the openg zip library but most of the packages I've used are static linked and just get uploaded/compiled as needed.

FYI, the 9627 doesn't have enough disk space with the system image to use the RAD/system imaging tools so you won't be able to replicate it. I'm stuck with 2019 until all our 9627 targets are out of support.

You'll need OpenG Zip 4.1.0, which includes support for Linux RT (afaik this isn't available through VIPM, only from the forum). Once installed, use MAX to install a 'legacy' custom software image on your sbRIO, and include the OpenG ZIP Tools package:

image.png.2d803c20f45d85c1047fe6b99ded81ac.png

Alternatively the required library file found in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\OpenG ZIP Tools\4.1.0 can be copied to your sbRIO:

Depending on your target you need to copy the according liblvzlib.so from either the LinuxRT_arm or LinuxRT_x64 subdirectory to /usr/local/lib/liblvzlib.so on your target. That should be all that is needed although sometimes it can be necessary to also run ldconfig on a command line to have the new shared library get added to the ldcache for the elf loader. With the old installation method in NI-MAX this was taken care of  by the installer based on the according *.cdf file in the OpenG ZIP Tools\4.2.0 directory.

You can also configure a build spec in the LabVIEW project to auto deploy that library, which is mentioned in the linked thread.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MichaelBalzer said:

You'll need OpenG Zip 4.1.0, which includes support for Linux RT (afaik this isn't available through VIPM, only from the forum). Once installed, use MAX to install a 'legacy' custom software image on your sbRIO, and include the OpenG ZIP Tools package:

image.png.2d803c20f45d85c1047fe6b99ded81ac.png

Alternatively the required library file found in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\OpenG ZIP Tools\4.1.0 can be copied to your sbRIO:

You can also configure a build spec in the LabVIEW project to auto deploy that library, which is mentioned in the linked thread.

Thank you very much, I already had the correct version of the library and the second option (manually copying the file to the /usr/local/lib/ sbRIO folder) worked.

It is still impossible to do it with MAX since after installing a base Linux RT image to the sbRIO, it is then impossible to add custom software without reformatting the device memory, while it was possible in previous LabVIEW/MAX versions. 

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2023 at 12:06 PM, Mattia Fontana said:

Thank you very much, I already had the correct version of the library and the second option (manually copying the file to the /usr/local/lib/ sbRIO folder) worked.

It is still impossible to do it with MAX since after installing a base Linux RT image to the sbRIO, it is then impossible to add custom software without reformatting the device memory, while it was possible in previous LabVIEW/MAX versions. 

Thanks again!

Yes since LabVIEW 2020 or 2021 one would need an .ipk to be able to install software on an RT system. I haven't yet come to create such a beast but am working on a general update to the library currently. It's just that there are so many other things to tackle too. 😎