LabVIEW 2023Q1 experience

sam

This last month, I installed LabVIEW 2023Q1 64bit and here are my experiences so far.  My experiences has been the same on my laptop and on a PXI system so I'm confident to a degree it's not a hardware problem.

1: When creating an Override VI, the new VI has the default Untitled 1 icon.  The icon from the VI of parent class is not transferred.  I've reported this as bug to NI and they confirmed it, except that they are not committing to any hot fix yet.   I've not tested the 2023Q1 32bit.

2:. Class Corruption.   On average,  I've encountered daily a failed to load class because the class definition is corrupted.  I use git so reverting the .class file is an easy fix.  Any new class properties or changes is obviously lost.

3: Insane VI objects, are encountered and easily recreated.  Perhaps this happens to me easily mainly due to my habits of programming.   I tend to drag and drop controls and indicators , or code between VIs.  I've noticed that sometimes after I finish the drop the object is not shown on block diagram.  This "not dropped object" will cause the entire VI to be flagged as Insane Block diagram.    Problem is that I've not noticed the problem and thought maybe the drag & drop event was my fault by me letting the mouse early.  Obviously all work on the VI is lost.

4: LabVIEW sudden crash.  Self explanatory.  LabVIEW just disappear and is offloaded.  Sometimes a new LabVIEW instance will not relaunch if I open it by double clicking on last project.

I'm going to switch to LabVIEW 2022Q3  or 2023Q1 32bit for now.  I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has had this experience or not.  

Edit:
Adding new items:

5:  Express VI code generation doesn't work.   I use Daq Assistance normally to start up a new task and generate some initial code.   NI seems to know the issue, but for 2022 Q3

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q0000019gTMCAY&l=en-CA

Edited by sam

I just went to 2022Q3 64-bit about a month ago with a fairly basic program.  USB cDAQ chassis with DAQmx and XNet on Windows 10.  It had several classes, reentrant-ness, subpanels and data logging.  I haven't seen any weirdness yet.  My next step is to dive in upgrading our Linux RT remote controllers and our sequence editor, and report generation.  This is a much larger project and one more likely to find issues.

Switching a large project to a more recent version of LabVIEW is quite risky.

Even when it's justified by a new feature the risk is high, arguably even higher as new features are rarely fully stable / bug-free on the first release.

Basically by changing version you're trading a bug-set that you probably got used to - and hopefully worked-around - for a new - and unknown - bug-set.

Highly risky.

Last week, Matlab R2023a was released. The changelog document for this (6-month cadence) release is 600 pages long!!! 

How come NI releases main development software with a 1-page changelog and makes it almost unusable with more issues than before???

How many NI engineers does it take to change an icon?

Edited by leod
  • Haha 1
On 3/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Antoine Chalons said:

Switching a large project to a more recent version of LabVIEW is quite risky.

(...)

Highly risky.

But this isn't LabVIEW specific. There are a lot of situations in corporate environments where you simply don't upgrade to the latest version all time of a software. It's simply too risky.

12 minutes ago, codcoder said:

But this isn't LabVIEW specific. There are a lot of situations in corporate environments where you simply don't upgrade to the latest version all time of a software. It's simply too risky.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, ShaunR said:

Changing versions is a huge project risk. You may get your old bug fixed (not guaranteed, though) but there will be other new ones and anyone who converts mid-project is insane. In fact. I would argue that anyone who upgrades before SP1 is out is also insane.

8 hours ago, Neil Pate said:

The forced font size change for clusters (and other thing) meant it was an immediate uninstall for me.

Care to expand? Don't see anything in the changelog (sorry, there is no changelog).

Edited by X___
typo, what else?
17 minutes ago, X___ said:

Care to expand? Don't see anything in the changelog (sorry, there is not changelog).

This idea was implemented. 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Same-Height-of-Unbundle-by-Name-Terminal-Local-Variable/idi-p/1298608

Opening existing code will create bends in wires where there weren't any before.

3 hours ago, hooovahh said:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Same-Height-of-Unbundle-by-Name-Terminal-Local-Variable/idi-p/1298608

Opening existing code will create bends in wires where there weren't any before.

Thanks @hooovahh. And I hate it. Changes to the editor experience should be opt-in. I cannot imagine the outrage if Visual Studio Code changed some editor setting and then did not make it configurable.

To quote Poppy from Trolls ("I mean, how hard can that be"). You will know it if you have kids under 10.

4 hours ago, hooovahh said:

This will only affect you if you use custom fonts.  If using the default since Windows 7, you will see no change.  Neil was using fonts to match XP.

13 minutes ago, crossrulz said:

This will only affect you if you use custom fonts.  If using the default since Windows 7, you will see no change.  Neil was using fonts to match XP.

Neil, and his current team, and all the previous teams he has coached.

My problem is with the lack of choice.

OK, my bad. I think I know what you are referring to:

• Terminals Height No Longer Changes With Font
  • Starting with LabVIEW 2023 Q1, terminals for the following functions will always be 16 pixels tall:
    • Unbundle/Bundle by Name
    • Locals/Globals
    • Invoke Node
    • Property Node
    • Non-icon View for SubVI Calls
    • Express VIs
    • Event Structure Event Data Node
    • Register Event Callback
    • Register for Events
    • Call Library Function Node Name View
    • In Place Element Structure Unbundle/Bundle Elements
    • Get Waveform Components
  • This is a LabVIEW 2023 Q1 feature that has been inspired by the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. If the new terminal size introduces wire bends to your VI diagrams, you can use the VI Analyzer Wire Bends test to find them. You will need to remove the wire bends manually.
  • [Idea submitted by NI Discussion Forums member Andrey_Dmitriev.]

I am not sure what this means though, as I see no effect of the default font style on terminal, bundle, etc. sizes, only on the labels (in LV 2021 SP1).

Hi

The wire shifting issue will hit you if you use default font size. Which is now 15.

I have for many years used my preferred typeface and font size. I preferred 14. This now seems to be a fortunate choice.

Using this choice there is no wire shift from 2022 Q3 to 2023 Q1 :

914818768_LabVIEWUnbundle2022Q3using14pointfontsand2023Q1usingdefault.PNG.711626913b2ecfbbf10dc864ac393629.PNG

Such a profound visual change should of course have had a proper ini setting so you can continue editing using the old size configuration.

Regards

2 hours ago, dadreamer said:

I think Andrey won't mind if I repost this here.

Oh but I like that! 💗

Small stuff like that has always bothered me in LabVIEW. And fixing small stuff is a way for them to show that they care. And that a big company on which I hinge my career cares is important for me. 

Edited by codcoder
5 hours ago, ShaunR said:

Is this really what we are up in arms about? Sounds like the sort of thing the LabVIEW haters group would be whinging over. I don't have this problem in 2009 :D

I love number 7). 😀

Serves you right if you used DAQmx Express VIs! The recompiling of VIs is not enough punishment for such a crime! 😎