Display a image with .net

The latest NI License Manager release page:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/release-notes/product.license-manager.html

will clarify all that:

Readme and Release Notes

Readmes contain important information about the release, including installation instructions, new features, and compatibility.

NI did not create this content for this release.

Known Issues and Bugs

Known issues document technical problems that can range from common issues to severe issues like crashes or hangs.

Bug Fixes

Bug fix lists document technical problems that NI has acknowledged and resolved in a specific version of a product.

Extended Compatibility Information

Extended compatibility content shows supported versions of hardware and software relative to other NI or third-party products. 

Additional Release Information

These documents contain other information that is specific to the selected version, such as migration and upgrade guides.

Edited by X___
deleted bogus sentence
  • Haha 1

In fact we would like to compare the image acquisition methods in terms of optimization (display speed).
.net seems to be very interesting.

20 hours ago, hooovahh said:

I posted my Image Manipulation code over on VIPM.IO

https://www.vipm.io/package/hooovahh_image_manipulation/

Here is a video demonstrating some of its functionality, including loading an image into a picture box and manipulating it.

I looked at your example and it is really good to start with! 

The problem with .net is the large number of functions, you have to be able to find your way around.

I'm trying to display an image from a table of values on .net and I have not yet found. What method should I use? I have not found a simple example that does it.  😱

23 hours ago, Antoine Chalons said:

Are you asking that in order to avoid NI vision dev module license for your vision product?

If yes, you can install vision acquisition software (> no license for that, at least until 4years ago) and use the image display without needing vdm license

I was not aware about ! I'll test if it's enough.
We already do with our own solution now but we would like to try with other methods because it lacks optimization. 

I also think there is a high potential using .net and i would like to try.

Edited by Youssef Menjour
On 4/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, X___ said:

The latest NI License Manager release page:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/release-notes/product.license-manager.html

will clarify all that

Actually, here is the relevant info:

Which VIs are Installed with NI-IMAQ and Vision Acquisition Software?

and this:

Is a License Needed to Work With NI Vision Acquisition Software?

So it looks like nothing additional is needed for the computer on which the IMAQ hardware is installed (or from which it is run), but officially, any other computer (including a development computer) would.

If your client is not using any IMAQ hardware, they are not supposed to use code (development or runtime) that uses these VIs.

But again, I may have this all wrong, although that is what I remember from the time we were using an IMAQ frame grabber.

Edited by X___

We don't want to use Imaq because the performance are bad for our application.

We would like to use .net with pointer. Anyone knows ?

17 hours ago, Antoine Chalons said:

I guess you don't care about supporting non-windows OSes, right?

For now we are working on windows. In the future we'll work on linux but for now we focus to make it work well on windows.

We don't want to use Imaq because the performance are bad for our application.

Really?
I haven't done any vision application in the last 4 years, but before that I was using IMAQ daily and i never had performance issues with the acquisition part.
And I had a few industrial application that were quite intense in terms of image acquisition and processing.
The processing was also acceptable in terms of perf, except maybe the pattern matching.

Can you describe an application in which IMAQ perf is too low for you?

3 hours ago, Youssef Menjour said:

We would like to use .net with pointer. Anyone knows ?

So instead of the "IMG tab" wire, shown on your diagram, you now have a memory pointer to the data (of the same representation and layout)? If so, just MoveBlock it to a common LabVIEW array and proceed as usual. Also I slightly don't get the reason why you're doing two Marshal.Copy operations... On the diagram above that empty bitmap's data is copied into the LabVIEW array, then it is replaced with the "IMG tab" data (Replace Array Subset on zero row) and then the array is copied into the empty bitmap. Isn't it enough to copy the "IMG tab" data to the empty bitmap and do the rest of the code (UnlockBits etc.)? I can't run the snippet, as LAVA seem to strip the metadata out of the snippets.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, Antoine Chalons said:

Really?
I haven't done any vision application in the last 4 years, but before that I was using IMAQ daily and i never had performance issues with the acquisition part.
And I had a few industrial application that were quite intense in terms of image acquisition and processing.
The processing was also acceptable in terms of perf, except maybe the pattern matching.

Can you describe an application in which IMAQ perf is too low for you?

I phrased it wrong
Vision poses a problem for us because it requires an additional installation. The philosophy of our package is to make it all in one so that it is as simple as possible for our users.
So we want to do without Vision while keeping the same performance.

What also causes us problems is that we don't understand anything about NI on the free, not free, add on... nothing is clear. As a user I do not feel I have to go looking for information, it should be simple which is not the case. (well that's our philosophy)

To do this, we have to do the same thing that the alliance vision team did at the time, a low level switch (pointer).
What we will be able to do in the next few days.

BT

3 hours ago, Youssef Menjour said:

I phrased it wrong
Vision poses a problem for us because it requires an additional installation. The philosophy of our package is to make it all in one so that it is as simple as possible for our users.
So we want to do without Vision while keeping the same performance.

What also causes us problems is that we don't understand anything about NI on the free, not free, add on... nothing is clear. As a user I do not feel I have to go looking for information, it should be simple which is not the case. (well that's our philosophy)

To do this, we have to do the same thing that the alliance vision team did at the time, a low level switch (pointer).
What we will be able to do in the next few days.

What's wrong with the Picture control BTW? As long as you are not looking for super-fast updates (athough even that is not precluded), this is a very capable object...

Edited by X___
typo, what else?