LV Realtime systems lock feature and ftp

Jeffrey Habets

Hi,

One of our customers asked me if important system files on the filesystem on his cRIO controller could be deleted through ftp. Since I don't have a RT system at hand to test this and don't want to encourage him to just try it I was hoping one of you guys might shed some light on this.

Does the locking feature (in MAX) of an RT-target also prevent deletion of crucial system files?

Thanks!

One of our customers asked me if important system files on the filesystem on his cRIO controller could be deleted through ftp. Since I don't have a RT system at hand to test this and don't want to encourage him to just try it I was hoping one of you guys might shed some light on this.

Yes, there are many important files that are accessible via FTP. MAX should be able to restore these files if they ever get damaged.

Does the locking feature (in MAX) of an RT-target also prevent deletion of crucial system files?

Yes you should lock (password protect) access to FTP, if you cannot secure access to the network containing the RT system.

Yes, there are many important files that are accessible via FTP. MAX should be able to restore these files if they ever get damaged.

Yes, I understand.. What I (or my customer actually) was interested in, was wether or not it would be possible to recover without MAX (e.g. via ftp). My thought was that this could be possible as long as no crucial OS or FTP-service files would be deleted.

Yes you should lock (password protect) access to FTP, if you cannot secure access to the network containing the RT system.

So, from your answer I asume that the lock in MAX also pw-protects ftp-access?

Do you or someone else know if there's a possibility to pw-protect only certain directories as I would be able to do on *nix systems? (The users needs ftp-access to a certain directory but I would like to prevent them from reaching the rest of the system directories, like chroot-ing.)

Hmmm, something inside me tells me this probably isn't possible and should go on the wishlist. :rolleyes: