Add diagram size limit or warning

We could do this in an analyzer version with scripting now. Another variant would be to count up the total number of nodes or structures or nesting level of structures, etc, etc, and then allow you to set alarm/warning level.

PIE in the sky extra credit feature: after analysis, if certain thresholds are exceeded, then do a second analysis and suggest structures or groups of code to be converted into a subVI (do we have a subVI scripting function?) by the user. Present the suggestions in a table and highlight the currently selected group.

Now THAT would be useful.

We could do this in an analyzer version with scripting now. Another variant would be to count up the total number of nodes or structures or nesting level of structures, etc, etc, and then allow you to set alarm/warning level.

PIE in the sky extra credit feature: after analysis, if certain thresholds are exceeded, then do a second analysis and suggest structures or groups of code to be converted into a subVI (do we have a subVI scripting function?) by the user. Present the suggestions in a table and highlight the currently selected group.

Now THAT would be useful.

Interesting concept but impractical I think. Reducing complexity into a subvi is not a mechanical task isolated from its surroundings. It has to make sense. The VI must encapsulate specific functionality.
Interesting concept but impractical I think. Reducing complexity into a subvi is not a mechanical task isolated from its surroundings. It has to make sense. The VI must encapsulate specific functionality.

Not impractical at all. I agree that a subVI has to make sense. Note that I said to present the user a table of suggestions, which can be highlighted by selecting different lines. It is then up to the user to actually do the subVI operation, to add or subtract from a highlighted group to define a grouping that can be made into a sensible subVI.

I'm not suggesting that we turn this into a mechanical operation (not yet, ... if it could be made sufficiently intelligent ... but that is another kettle of fish) just something that could quickly go through code and give an intelligent operator suggested groupings flagged based on parameters selected. This would be either as an analysis operation, like running the Profile tool, or a continous operation that runs in the background every so often and then scans the open VIs.