Monitoring and controlling multiple RT systems

Neville D

Hi there,

Imagine having several Real-Time controllers out there connected via ethernet. I would like to monitor and control them all while running from one central location. The Communication wizard has been used to set up a web page of the user interface for each real-time system. But as the numbers increase, its kind of cumbersome just having multiple web browser windows open each showing one controller's interface.

I would like to pick the brains of some folks here to see what they come up with... here's some ideas I have so far:

Develop a LabVIEW or Visual Basic application that show's all the web browser windows within one application, and pick and choose which window i want to see at a certain time

Develop an HTML page showing specific portions in frames or a table for example

Develop custom TCP messaging protocol to publish certain data

Using something like Datalogging and Supervisory Control (DSC), even though I understand those are more geared toward Fieldpoint.

Any other ideas - maybe Im making this alot more complicated than it has to be.

Thanks in advance.

Develop a LabVIEW or Visual Basic application that show's all the web browser windows within one application, and pick and choose which window i want to see at a certain time

You could use Mozilla Firefox for this. With tabbed browsing, you can open a complete folder of links in different tabs at once.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey.

Looking at the new features of LabVIEW 8 I believe that Shared Variables (Shared Variable NI Demo) will really be helpful.

Using them I would think one could easily develop a single LabVIEW app that can control and monitor multiple real-time controllers with much more ease than the current requirements for using FIFOs to communicate.

But if any other ideas come up using LabVIEW 7.1 to target multiple RT controllers from one interface - They are most welcome.

Thanks!

Have you looked into using datasockets and "publishing" your data from your RT units? Depending on how much stuff you're looking at, this could be quick enough for you.

Also, using an OPC server is pretty much the same idea as above....ie. having a global repository for data....

In these cases, you'd build your own HMI that would "link" to the Datasocket item (subscribe) or OPC tag. You could then control this vi via a web browser using LV's pre-installed web server....

Regis

You could use Mozilla Firefox for this. With tabbed browsing, you can open a complete folder of links in different tabs at once.

The NI Web server only supports Internet Explorer.

Datasocket is the way to go. I have communicated with about 16RT targets with buffered data using Datasockets. Usually works well, though sometimes the Datasocket server inexplicably crashes at startup.

Neville.

The NI Web server only supports Internet Explorer.

Datasocket is the way to go. I have communicated with about 16RT targets with buffered data using Datasockets. Usually works well, though sometimes the Datasocket server inexplicably crashes at startup.

Neville.

I wouldn't go and add datasocket to the complexity of the system. A simple TCP/IP server in the RT app similar to the DataServer/Client example will probably work much more realiable and not add much overhead to your app.

While I didn't do that on RT systems yet, I often add some TCP/IP server functionality to other apps to allow them to be monitored from all kinds of clients.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Have you looked into using datasockets and "publishing" your data from your RT units? Depending on how much stuff you're looking at, this could be quick enough for you.

Also, RT on FieldPoint Ethernet modules also allows you to configure 'Fieldpoint Tags' through MAX. These tags can be accessed as for any other FP tag (ie read, write or read/write) from both the RT and the host. This provides a simple comm's to embedded FP RT's.

Since when? This is not true. NI's web server supports Mozilla browsers as well. Where did you get that information from?

I stand corrected!

Sorry.

Neville.

I wouldn't go and add datasocket to the complexity of the system. A simple TCP/IP server in the RT app similar to the DataServer/Client example will probably work much more realiable and not add much overhead to your app.

While I didn't do that on RT systems yet, I often add some TCP/IP server functionality to other apps to allow them to be monitored from all kinds of clients.

Rolf Kalbermatter

In my opinion, throwing in a write or a read DS function is a lot easier & quicker than writing a TCP/IP client server. That is the idea behind the Datsocket stuff.

Unless, you have the TCP/IP Client Server already written from another project..

N.

• 5 months later...