Seamless Activation ? Yeah Right.

PJM_labview

Well Folks,

Guess what, the seamless activation NI promissed us with this new Activation theme is not working that well for us! !@#!@#!@

:angry:

We could not activate LV8.0 with our Software Lease....

Crap!

Ok, Last Update: After Trying On and Off for over 2 hours, it enventually worked. So may be we were trying to soon ?

PJM

Well Folks,

Guess what, the seamless activation NI promissed us with this new Activation theme is not working that well for us! !@#!@#!@

:angry:

We could not activate LV8.0 with our Software Lease....

Crap!

Ok, Last Update: After Trying On and Off for over 2 hours, it enventually worked. So may be we were trying to soon ?

PJM

It worked fine for me on the first try. I guess you already primed it for me huh? :thumbup:

I guess the drivers portion is not included with the download eh? It prompted me for it. BUT, this time, the installer doesn't abort the installation if the driver CD is missing. Unlike 7.1 which uninstalled everything if you didn't have the driver CD.

It worked fine for me on the first try. I guess you already primed it for me huh? :thumbup:

I guess the drivers portion is not included with the download eh? It prompted me for it. BUT, this time, the installer doesn't abort the installation if the driver CD is missing. Unlike 7.1 which uninstalled everything if you didn't have the driver CD.

It doesn't seem to work overseas. Whatever serial number I could come up with from all the different SSP shipments etc. it kept telling me that it is an invalid serial number for the product I try to activate. NI support wasn't very clear but claimed that it doesn't work yet and I should just continue to use evaluation mode until I receive the proper SSP shipment. But that dialog at startup is for sure annoying.

Rolf Kalbermatter

It doesn't seem to work overseas. Whatever serial number I could come up with from all the different SSP shipments etc. it kept telling me that it is an invalid serial number for the product I try to activate. NI support wasn't very clear but claimed that it doesn't work yet and I should just continue to use evaluation mode until I receive the proper SSP shipment. But that dialog at startup is for sure annoying.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I read on NI forum somewhere that the activation server in europe will be ready in about 7-10 days.

So, meanwhile people have to use it in evaluation mode.

PJM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is an interesting post from info-labview:

Salut.

Any resemblance to reality or truth is a pure, true, innocent and unwanted

coincidence!

All letters, bits, keyboard strikes, sentences, meaning and spaces included

in this message are the property of ME! Anyone who tries to copy it should

be aware that using CTRL+A followed by CTRL+C will go faster than selecting

all the text and right-clicking and selecting copy! Consider yourselves

WARNED!!!

THE BEGINNING

International Measurement was a nice little company offering a very hard to

beat product called FabMIEW. FabMIEW was loved and used by a large number of

humans who liked to tackle the essence of a problem instead of tackling the

tools to resolve it. There was a mutual respect between the creators of

FabMIEW and the users.

THE TURN

But then, just as Pluto, Saturn and Mars where aligned in the PROFITUS

CAPITALUS state and driven by an unlimited financial growth model developed

before electricity, International Measurement changed!!!

THE WALL

It began to believe that in order to be more profitable, because profitable

was not enough profit, it had to build a system to follow and restrict the

users of FabMIEW using a secret activation procedure.

THE END

The users of FabMIEW began to tackle the tool to resolve the problem instead

of the problem itself and this was the beginning of the end!

Dominic Lavoie

Never had that problem w/ 7.1 :D

Here is an interesting post from info-labview:

/snip

"It began to believe that in order to be more profitable, because profitable

was not enough profit, it had to build a system to follow and restrict the

users of FabMIEW using a secret activation procedure."

/endsnip

In the last few years it has become very fashionable to demonize corporations. Considering Enron, WorldCom, Nortel and others, this is understandable but really very silly. This is like hating humanity because some people rob banks.

- Is NI profit driven?

I sure hope so. I want NI to not only survive, but flourish because I have invested a great deal of time learning how to make the most of LabVIEW's features. (Note, I did not say mastering :P ). I want that product to get better and more ubiquitous.

- Has NI been taken over by evil corporate zombies that want to imbed a chip in license holders so their precious product will not be used unless it's paid for?

I don't know. I do know that every time I have contacted NI about potential licence violations their response has always been reasonable. As long as I follow the spirit of the SLA, I have never had a problem. Keep in mind, NI has listened to complaints about their licensing approach and relaxed their licensing policy to reflect the realities of how people use their software. That doesn't sound like the "big bad wolf" to me.

Just to be clear, I am not an apologist for NI. Whether I buy an NI license or an audio CD, I feel strongly that I can use that product in any reasonable and legitimate way that I see fit. As a licensed user, I don't think I should be punished, limited or inconvenienced because of pirates. That is their problem, not mine. For example, DRM is a flawed system and as such, it will ultimately fail.

Recently NI has implemented a new system to try to ensure that their product is not used illegally. Apparently it has some problems. That said, I have triggered sensors in a retail store after I have paid for a product. I don't hate security systems because of that. Hey, S**T happens. NI is fixing it, and life goes on.

As more active LabVIEW users pay for the product, one of two things (or both) will happen:

- NI will be able to drop the price.

- NI will become more successful.

Either way, I win.

- Is LabVIEW too expensive?

LabVIEW is a tool. IMHO it is a very good tool and it does not come cheap. I do not compare the cost of LabVIEW to Word, XP or Final Fantasy. The volume and market is totally different. I only look at what LabVIEW can do for me and how it can make me more productive and, ultimately, successful. If there is a better/cheaper product out there, I will use it, either concurrently or as a replacement. G is certainly not the first language that I have learned and it probably won't be the last. If you have an emotional attachment to a piece of software, I respectfully suggest that you re-evaluate your priorities.

I find it ironic that many of the grumblers (statistically, that is) will likely have some investments or IRAs with stock holdings and they want those stocks to do well so they can have all the trappings of the good life. Those same people will charge as much for their services as the market will allow and gauge their worth based on other developers and their skills i.e. worth. Those same people would likely be very upset if someone misappropriated their work product and cheated them.

How is NI's attitude any different?

Well, I suspect that this post may set the cat amongst the pigeons, but I will gladly respond to any rational rebuttals.

Cheers!

Barrie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A month ago I just install LabVIEW 8 evaluation and write my licence code and everythink was OK. After that I activated my soft with any problems.

I can say that there wasn't any problems with that. Maybe when I will be acticating rest of my instalation will be some problems, but right now I don't have any problems with that.

Now I wait for my LabVIEW 8 PDS. Have you hear something when NI will be sending CD's to customers ?

Regards

bogdani

Hi

A month ago I just install LabVIEW 8 evaluation and write my licence code and everythink was OK. After that I activated my soft with any problems.

I can say that there wasn't any problems with that. Maybe when I will be acticating rest of my instalation will be some problems, but right now I don't have any problems with that.

Now I wait for my LabVIEW 8 PDS. Have you hear something when NI will be sending CD's to customers ?

Regards

bogdani

We have already received our LV 8 PDS CD's last month in North America. Maybe check with your local NI rep to see when you will receive them in Poland.

Of course the installation of the LV 8 Debug Licence was such a pain, I have not bothered to install 8 on my development PC.

Neville.