LabVIEW 8 Scripting

Hey,

I was browsing around to see what new scripting stuff is in LV8.0 (the old ini keys seem to work) :thumbup: . I couldn't find the diagram reference property. Has it been moved... or removed? :(

Also, I noticed a nice feature. All the private methods and properties are now light blue in color. This will be nice for quick recognition of scripting stuff in your code.

post-2-1129924868.png?width=400

Michael,

Have you tried updating a version 7.1 VI that contained this diagram reference to see if it makes it through the update intact?

Yes, it appears to make it through intact. Interesting however, LV doesn't color it light blue. This would lead me to believe that there is a mask in place. Well, I know PJM_LabVIEW has built a tool here that pulls everything out. Let me try that...

Ho hum...

Oops, LV8 throws an insane object error!! :ninja:

Hey,

I was browsing around to see what new scripting stuff is in LV8.0 (the old ini keys seem to work) :thumbup: . I couldn't find the diagram reference property. Has it been moved... or removed? :(

Also, I noticed a nice feature. All the private methods and properties are now light blue in color. This will be nice for quick recognition of scripting stuff in your code.

Hello Michael,

the old ini keys seem to work, but not in full. I have written a formula parser in LV7.1 by using the formula

node's functionality (see attachment).

In LV8, running the formula VI does work, but editing of properties/methods is not possible, since there

are no properties and methods availaible to select.

There must be some new keys. The known keys will only show some hidden stuff. Other stuff like the

scripting features are still not available. :o

Regards

Wolfram

Download File:post-1013-1130071417.llb

the old ini keys seem to work, but not in full. I have written a formula parser in LV7.1 by using the formula

node's functionality (see attachment).

In LV8, running the formula VI does work, but editing of properties/methods is not possible, since there

are no properties and methods availaible to select.

There must be some new keys. The known keys will only show some hidden stuff. Other stuff like the

scripting features are still not available. :o

So if I understand, you can create scripting tools in 7.1 and open a copy in 8.0 and it will work, but you cannot create new scripting tools or modify them in 8.0?
So if I understand, you can create scripting tools in 7.1 and open a copy in 8.0 and it will work, but you cannot create new scripting tools or modify them in 8.0?

It seems, that only the private special stuff key works. So, up to now, we can use LV 7.1 to progam scripting tools and use LV 8.0 to run them.

This could be interesting, especially for those methods and properties that have produced an error message "not yet implemented" when running them with LV7.1.

Scripting property nodes actually show up in red.

A note about my previous comment:

I originally thought the scripting property nodes were in red, but some of them aren't, and I'm wondering if the red color is actually an indicator of the deprecated items--the color changes from red to light blue if the deprecated item (shown in the previous screenshot I posted) is removed.

A note about my previous comment:

I originally thought the scripting property nodes were in red, but some of them aren't, and I'm wondering if the red color is actually an indicator of the deprecated items--the color changes from red to light blue if the deprecated item (shown in the previous screenshot I posted) is removed.

I concur with this observation. Red nodes seem to indicated deprecated items. May be the symbolism is Warning (Red) do not Use! :P

PJM

I concur with this observation. Red nodes seem to indicated deprecated items. May be the symbolism is Warning (Red) do not Use! :P

PJM

Or rather, since you can't select/use them anyway, it's more of an easy way to highlight the properties/methods of a VI that need to be re-coded each time a new version comes out, when the version deprecates certain things.

I recall that there were certain private nodes that were exposed a couple of versins ago, that got closed/hidden when you installed LV7 (or was it 7.1?). Someone here (PJM?) recommended saving a copy of some directories prior to install and I think made a zipped copy of said dir available here on line.

My question is: Is there anything we should save a copy of before installing Lv8? I just got my boxed SSP upgrade and have yet to install it. Has anyone found items to archive first?

I recall that there were certain private nodes that were exposed a couple of versins ago, that got closed/hidden when you installed LV7 (or was it 7.1?). Someone here (PJM?) recommended saving a copy of some directories prior to install and I think made a zipped copy of said dir available here on line.

My question is: Is there anything we should save a copy of before installing Lv8? I just got my boxed SSP upgrade and have yet to install it. Has anyone found items to archive first?

Yes this was in MAX\Assistants\LVCGen. Already in 7.1, NI plugged a lot of holes and I am not aware of anything that was changed by the installation of 8.0.

On a side note, NI is getting a lot better at password protecting the stuff they should have in the first place. I have not find anything of great significance exposed yet.

PJM

I was looking into this lately and the scripting seems to be another feature which is put behind the new licensing scheme (together with XNodeDevelopment it seems). So there are really only two ways to get scripting in LabVIEW 8.0. The first is to get a license from NI to do that and activate it in the license manager, and the second would be illegal.

Rolf Kalbermatter

... NI is getting a lot better at password protecting the stuff they should have in the first place. I have not find anything of great significance exposed yet ...

Unfortunately, this is probably partly our own fault for talking about scripting, etc, in open forum as much as we have. When I first found out about some of the scripting, INI keys, etc, I told no one for weeks, and then only a single other person. It was only after several posts were made out in the open and the cat was out of the bag that I discussed it publicly. I wonder if we had kept a little quieter if NI would have still closed off as much of it as they did in the last two releases. Probably, they were probably just whetting everyones appetite before making scripting a paid for tool kit.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

Hy Michael

Maby there is a way to solve this Problem...

In some of the LabVIEW 8 Beta versions the property diagram reference still sems to works.

We have just to find out why..

I was looking into this lately and the scripting seems to be another feature which is put behind the new licensing scheme (together with XNodeDevelopment it seems). So there are really only two ways to get scripting in LabVIEW 8.0. The first is to get a license from NI to do that and activate it in the license manager, and the second would be illegal.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I was at the National Instruments Technical Symposium that was in town a couple of weeks ago and was able to talk to one of the LabVIEW developers that was present. I was asking about the XNode technology and he confirms what Rolf states, the scripting and XNode now have to be activated with the new license manager. However, according to this developer, this is only true on the Windows platform and the old ini keys will still work on the Mac and Linux OS. That could explain why there seemed to be some conflicting reports earlier in this thread. I'm on Windows so I can't confirm this.

Brian

Has anyone had success with the

preloadSimScriptingVIs

DebugSimScripting

INI Settings :question:

It's probably something to do w/ something else, but you never know.

Norm: Long time no chat. Been working too hard ;-) I suppose that these keys have to do with the Simulation Toolkit features, which use a VI facade, similar to Express VIs (I think).

• 2 weeks later...
...the old ini keys seem to work, but not in full.

The old ini keys seem to work, yes but to get the full scripting feature unlock you have to go into the License Manager and type in a password :-(

I've asked NI to give me a "temporary key" to play with but Haven't heard anything yet.

(I use the scripting feature in my UML Modeller)

Cheers Mikael

I had a quick look and didn't see anything in the license manager for this. Where did you find it?

The license manager is very stupid. It only enumerates the license files present in your system and shows their status. It also can invoke the activation wizard for a specific license so that you can get a valid license. All the license files present in your system (such as the whole bunch of possible LabVIEW development licenses or the NIIMAQ1394) get installed with the respective NI software either with demo or inactive status. The license activation then gets an autorization code from NI (either by secure web, fax or email) and adds that autorization to the existing license file, signing the whole file with a code to proof that it is a valid license. Then the license manager will recognize it and so will LabVIEW. But LabVIEW checks also for other valid licenses for which no standard license file gets installed together with LabVIEW. Those queries will fail just as if the license file had not been activated or properly signed and the feature will not be available.

Things I found that it checks for licenses are LabVIEW Scripting, XNode Development, Pocket PC, and Palm OS.

So now we just need to get those valid licenses to use these features ;-) Knowing that the whole licensing is based on FlexLM I have a feeling that you could force it without to much of a hassle but that would be illegal!

Rolf Kalbermatter

Has anyone attempted a hack of the license to find out if that may release the scripting?

If I would, I wouldn't tell! I like to sleep without being lifted off my bed in the middle of a night by a special police force ;-)

Rolf Kalbermatter