3 button dialog improvement?

Well it looks like NI cleaned up the code a little bit on the 3 button dialog box in LV80. The previous version used a stacked sequence structure. The current version uses a flat sequence structure. Which one is better? I'll let you decide. In my opinion... niether. Hasn't NI learned about the state machine? It's required reading if you want to pass the NI certification. Hmm, I wonder how many NI LabVIEW developers are "Certified". :nono:

post-2-1130192535.png?width=400

post-2-1130192545.png?width=400

I wrote the original version a few years back before I truly understood the problems of the sequence structure. Now I do. The modified version you see in LV8.0 was just someone trying to clean up the readability without risking breaking something. I don't think any real functionality changes were made.

Oh, and, no, I'm not certified. :-)

-- Stephen Mercer

-= LV R&D =-

• 2 weeks later...
Well it looks like NI cleaned up the code a little bit on the 3 button dialog box in LV80. The previous version used a stacked sequence structure. The current version uses a flat sequence structure. Which one is better? I'll let you decide. In my opinion... niether. Hasn't NI learned about the state machine? It's required reading if you want to pass the NI certification. Hmm, I wonder how many NI LabVIEW developers are "Certified". :nono:

Michael, I think what you're seeing is one of probably many instances where code was generated originally and then upgraded later (like was already stated). If you have ever worked under the auspices of a large orginization with a strict version control system implemented (which I'm guessing NI has), it's easy to understand why the code looks like crap: you're barely allowed to do anything to it once it's been functionally verified and checked in. I personally don't think that's any excuse for such poorly designed examples as the one above, but at least it makes sense of how in the world they're allowed to release that kind of stuff.

• 2 years later...