Datasocket connections in LV8

My first post to the LAVA forums... Hi!

I have a project in LV 7.1 I've been working on for several weeks and the datasocket part is (was) finished. I am using DS to connect to OPC topics on a PLC. After installing LV8 on the same machine, the Datasocket open vi now throws an error. I am assuming this must be the result of the LV8 install changing some shared file, since I have not touched the Datasocket/OPC code in at least a week, nor have I changed any of the topic addresses.

I get error code -2147467262, which does not appear to be documented in LV 7.1 or LV 8 help files. The closest match is -2147467263, which is named NOT IMPLEMENTED. The error is the same whether I run the program under LV7.1 or LV8.

Has anyone else gotten far enough along in LV8 to see this yet?

Thanks, Andy

Minor update - I wrote a quick new vi using the Datasocket Select URL.vi and it lists the OPC servers (as well as all the other DS servers) but if you try to expand them to see their topics you get errors. It keeps saying interface not supported. I'm thinking perhaps that the download for LV8 either doesn't include the required drivers or doesn't register them correctly?

Never mind - the problem is solved. NI tech support was able to help me out. It turns out that on some builds of LV8 on windows 2000 there is a bug where the OPC dlls don't get properly registered during the installation. A quick call to regsvr32 from the run menu fixed the problem. The support technician said she would be filing the bug report to have the error repaired.

Do you remember which dlls need to be registered with regsvr32? I wonder if this is a problem with built applications on Windows 2000 too.

Never mind - the problem is solved. NI tech support was able to help me out. It turns out that on some builds of LV8 on windows 2000 there is a bug where the OPC dlls don't get properly registered during the installation. A quick call to regsvr32 from the run menu fixed the problem. The support technician said she would be filing the bug report to have the error repaired.
Do you remember which dlls need to be registered with regsvr32? I wonder if this is a problem with built applications on Windows 2000 too.

The support technician gave me these two names:

opcproxy.dll

opccomn_ps.dll

I registered opcproxy.dll and the problem went away, and has stayed away in the built app. I didn't need to do anything with the other file. The file was already there in the windows directory but it was just never registered.

Andy