For what do you use LabView?

JPrevost

When I worked at Corning Inc., I used it for automating passive and active measurement and calibration processes for free space and fiber optic devices... mostly controlling GPIB and RS232 instrumentation and collecting data (I then used VBA macros I wrote for Excel to format that same data).

I've also used LabVIEW for machine vision and data acquisition. Currently, I'm using it for input simulation and output montioring for embedded software verification.

We use LabVIEW for two directions:

First is let's say native: automated laboratory magnetic thin films research (photoconductivity and magnetic domain image processing).

Second is little exotic: conferences system services with voting and audio recording handling.

regards

Mikrobi

Just north of Seattle, WA (US) - LV runs my custom ATE to characterize a programmable system on chip (PSoC). It's a reconfigurable analog array + reconfig digital + microprocessor. Someone else here uses LV as an automation interface to the chip's IDE (free download).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

North of Atlanta, Georgia...

In the 6+ years I've been here (Respironics), I've used LV for production testing of sleep diagnostic recorders, infant apnea monitors, CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure - for people whose airways occlude during sleep), and medical oxygen concentrators, plus all sorts of little 'quickie' lab tests.

Prior to that, I used LV (4.0.1 - 4.1 days) to test secure telephone equipment and other government/military voice/data crypto gear at L-3.

If I had been smart, I would've started using it back in '92-'93 when it was first demo'ed to me. I was one of those obstinate types who thought it could never do what I needed it to do.... ;) I was a C programmer, y'know... ah well...

Dave

• 2 months later...

I use Labview with VXI and PXI instruments in our Hydro-Acoustic Test Facilaty. We've written our Dads (Digital Acoustic Data System) with it plus many other utilities. I.E. Control and logging. Beginning a project with CompactFieldPoint to replace our aging Heating, Cooling, Pressurization System on our two large Pressure tanks.

Jeffery S. Erdmann

NavSurWarCen Crane Division

jeffery.erdmann@navy.mil

I use LabVIEW to create fully automated Test-Systems in the Automotive-Industries, eg. end-of-line testers, development-test-systems, laboratory test rigs, ect ...

most of my software contains: Hardware IO (DAQ, DAQmx) in 99% of all cases with National Instruments Hardware, Database Connectivity, etc..

currently i am working on an ECU testing system (since 3 month, time left: 2 month)

Hmm, how far to go back...

I have used LabVIEW for (partial list):

- Submarine weapons handling system immulation and test (VME based)

- Submarine torpedo circuits and modules test (VXI, GPIB, serial) (my first test executive)

- Biomedical image processing with ConceptVi (before NI bought and renamed to IMAQ)

- RF antenna / radio switching control

- Cable Modem box production testing

- Data retrieval from a no-longer-supported church membership database

- Professional Observatory/Telescope control (SOAR Telescope in Chile)

Current Projects:

- Hospital Bed Management system. (no hardware, distributed client-server via TCP/IP)

- Fruit Inspection and Grading/Sorting

- Open Source development (Open Source Test Executive, WorkSpace2003, OpenG tools)

I must say, working with LabVIEW I have not been bored ...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what a Q !

I started back with LV3 on WfW 3.11, more than 10 years ago.

Did DAQ & analysis in biomedical research. Later some basic control of research equipment added.

Now in my current job I use it to create helper tools (tests for medical devices, simulations, data transformations etc.), to devellop ATE projects for medical devices and do some special research projets in the medical area. The last bigger project was a 96 channel ECG recording device with ECG mapping calculations and display. This one measures and displays the time-course and movement of the excitement of the heart muscle in a non-invasive way. This allows to detect defects in the cardiac function. :)

I use LabVIEW to generate, and output physiological waveforms with a high level of control, to test the algorithms in our medical equipment. The flexibility of LabVIEW has been realised at our facility, and we are in the middle of creating a simulator that will simulate all of the parameters our equipment can monitor. This currently includes ECG, CO2, Temp, PCO2, and blood pressure.

• 2 months later...

We use labview to as the software which controls Medical electrode Mfg machines. The custom machines are built in-house and controlled with a host PC with Fieldpoint Units. One of our processes is a liquid batch mixing operation. Another is similar to a laminating/converting machine with assembly line automation.

Regis