For what do you use LabView?

JPrevost

Hi Everybody...

I use LabView for many applications.  And whatever our clients need.  I may attempt writing a video game for fun... 

JLV

5835[/snapback]

Hi Joel, welcome to the LAVA forums. 16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I think you will find out if you put some time into the LAVA forums as well you will find it even harder to reach 1000 replies. Plus there are no icon_rating_5.gifs here. :nono:

I use LV for various control applications, also in agricultural and semi-industrial applications (like growing fish or sorting corn), while providing advanced communication (wi-fi, ethernet) and various interfaces (PDAs, cell phones)...

Ditto for the games comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks!

Seems a quiescent enough spot for my first post to this forum. I first started using Labview in 1991, at my first job out of grad school working at Texaco's Beacon, NY research facility. I used it for a variety of data acquisition and data analysis tasks throughout my 8 years of doing combustion and engine research there. In 1999 I found a job as a contract engineer at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, helping to setup the ground test equipment for the GLAS instrument on ICESat. After ICESat launched in Jan 2003, I switched contracting companies to work for Sigma Space Corporation, but still do most of my work at NASA GSFC for the Laboratory of Laser Remote Sensing. I do a variety of quick and dirty R&D Lab setups, and some (almost sophisticated) analysis of engineering data from the GLAS orbital telemetry. My latest projects are setup of the ground test equipment for the LOLA (Lunar Orbital Laser Altimeter) instrument on LRO (Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter), and some (very) basic pseudo-random code laser altimetry modelling.

-Pete Liiva

• 4 months later...

I'm using LabView to design a full fledged automotive EFI datalogger/autotune program. When I say full fledged I'm talking real-time emulation hardware support, graphing, extra a/d inputs for datalogging accelerometers and special sensors like thermocouples for EGT's and wideband o2 sensors for accurate AFR measurements all synced to the GM computers ram dumped 17Hz :) . It's freakn' awesome. I'll be posting pictures in another thread somewhere on this forum!

I tried Visual Basic but gave up when it's serial communications wasn't giving me good control. Dealing with async streamed data isn't easy.

• 1 month later...
so your LabVIEW work is mostly as a hacker... :blink:

Basically not, but sometimes it happens :D

I do not use my hack skills to get profit - I use it mostly to knead my brains. :nono:

Once I hack DSP software with Labview. We outsourced DSP programming to another company, than when we received DSP it works with minor bugs. We asked them to correct these bugs but they work too slow, therefore I was forced to read SW from DSP (it was locked for reading ) and correct it by myself.

So you can see

I have been using Labview for about 2 years. I develop and deploy Labview programs to characterize custom CMOS linear imager devices that include first silicon( probe on wafer) and packaged devices. I was using for a long(a l-o-n-g) time HTB(formerly HP Rocky Mountain Basic) for similar work via GPIB, RS232. But it was slow(both S/W and H/W it supported). I converted to NI PXI & MXI H/W and Labview, and now the same packaged device that took 14 minutes to fully characterize now takes about 35 seconds!

I have recently moved to Labview 8.0 and my old code works. I only had to modify code for file I/O since some related vi's were no longer supported. After that, my code works fine. I have about 250 or so vi's loaded(most are my vi's). I like the event structure with dynamic enabling of controls.

Pardon me for a long post.

Khan

Xerox

Rochester, NY

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Labview now for about 2 years. I work for a satellite communications company and develop test fixtures that test out our modem's firmware. This is mostly done using serial, ethernet, USB, and GPIB communications. I have really enjoyed what I have learned so far and I am looking forward to more. I take my Labview Intermediate I&II courses in April and probably a Test Stand course thereafter. I look forward to all of the training I can get as well as experience obviously. I came across LAVA by chance after not getting the anwers I needed from the NI forum. I did a Google search and there it was. I think it is pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use it mostly for developing ATEs and verification tests for our point-to-point microwave radio systems. So its RF, Microwave, Spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power meters, network analyzers and other hardware, controlling the DUTs, analyzing data, and much more of course.

/Thomas, Allgon Microwave

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm well,

Just about all the programming I do. Recently used LV RT and FPGA on the CompactRIO platform to implement a machine conditioning system. Don't ask me about the analysis, I leave that to those who like math :) Other than that, numerous smaller test and measurement applications for various companies.

Currently I'm trying to complete a control application for a life sciences company using LV RT and CompactFieldPoint.

Later