New Lego Mindstorm NXT

JasonKing

Damn, I wish I had know earlier so I could get it and bring one to NIWeek. Oh well, it will have to wait until I return. I wonder if they'll be selling them at the show.

They should be on the shelves at your local Best Buy, Target, etc. I haven't been to see the Powered by LabVIEW logo on the box yet, but I know some guys who have bought them at a local Target already. So if you need to bring one to NI Week you can stop and pick one up before you leave. I haven't heard anything about them being sold at NI Week, but I haven't asked either.

Kennon

If you can manage a good algorithm I'm also interested in it. It just happened that last night I had to stand up several times and chase away my neighbor cats. My neighbor has 4 or 5 female cats and so often all the males (of the village) are lurking around meowing the whole night. :thumbdown:

maybe some japanese peppermint oil is easier to get and more effective than a cat chasing robot (how will you manage it that it can climb up the trees?). Cat's really hate that intensive smell of the peppermint oil and immediately disappear ...

maybe some japanese peppermint oil is easier to get and more effective than a cat chasing robot (how will you manage it that it can climb up the trees?). Cat's really hate that intensive smell of the peppermint oil and immediately disappear ...

fortunately there is no tree in the next neighbour, because the neighbour has his cow-stable with runout (correct for "Auslauf"??). There are just a few bushes, but they not big enough to hold a cat.

... otherwise I thought to adapt a paintball gun or so on my mindstorm... :laugh:

...I know it won't be "kid-compatible" anymore, but funny to see "pink-pointed" cats... :laugh:

fortunately there is no tree in the next neighbour, because the neighbour has his cow-stable with runout (correct for "Auslauf"??). There are just a few bushes, but they not big enough to hold a cat.

... otherwise I thought to adapt a paintball gun or so on my mindstorm... :laugh:

...I know it won't be "kid-compatible" anymore, but funny to see "pink-pointed" cats... :laugh:

auslauf ? keine ahnung, ich versteh's schon, ich hab auch mal neben einem bauernhof gewohnt ...

so you want to build your own catminator NXT? :D

Well, I picked up my mindstorms and it's here with me at NIWeek.

:D last time you mentioned your son, I am glad you now revelaled WHO want's to play with the legos. BTW: no need to be ashamed now, I'm getting mine in September - I hope ;)

so you want to build your own catminator NXT? :D
That's "Katinator", with a "K"
:D last time you mentioned your son, I am glad you now revelaled WHO want's to play with the legos. BTW: no need to be ashamed now, I'm getting mine in September - I hope ;)
My son turns 9 in Sept and he (okay, "we") have been promised this as the main gift :thumbup:

Coming soon from NI

NXT Toolkit for LabVIEW

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/we...62571BF000C8127

Son will use the LEGO supplied software, and Dad will be checking daily for when this toolkit is available for download.

That's "Katinator", with a "K"

ummhh ... can you please explain a non native speaker, why it's written with K? If it was a joke, I apologize for killing the punch linke ...

My son turns 9 in Sept and he (okay, "we") have been promised this as the main gift :thumbup:

hmm ... 9 ... then he has to go to bed, maybe 1 hour after you come home from work ? ;)

Son with use the LEGO supplied software, and Dad will be checking daily for when this toolkit is available for download.

I read it a few minutes ago on the ni homepage. and I am REALLY looking forward to this toolkit. not only because you can programm your legos with it, but it contains the ability to write LV code, which is executed in a microprocessor - that's really exciting. Maybe I can extract some of the procedures and run LV code on the same uC without the Lego stuff around it ...

BTW: I hope NI will bring soon something like a "Atmel AVR Module" - the Embedded Development Module seems to be to complicated and to expensive for my taste --> what about qubix ? My last info is, that it sould have been released in early Q2/2006 in Germany ... ?

ummhh ... can you please explain a non native speaker, why it's written with K? If it was a joke, I apologize for killing the punch linke ...
Yep, it's a joke, don't worry about the punchline, it was codekill anyway...
hmm ... 9 ... then he has to go to bed, maybe 1 hour after you come home from work ? ;)
Okay, you caught me on that one...
what about qubix ? My last info is, that it sould have been released in early Q2/2006 in Germany ... ?
I thought that someone else on the forums was saying that Qubix had been canceled? I hope not.
I can unfortunately confirm that. I talk to some NI people at NI Week, and it is indeed dead :(:(

Did they talk about why? Even if NI wasn't going to support it it would be nice if they released it as an unsupported kit, or better yet, but heaven forbid ... open source ...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as part of our work with a local school we're apparently going to get some NXT toolkits. A local salesman came by this week and gave us a demo. There are apparently some differences between the home and educational kits, with the most significant I noticed being that the educational bricks have the option of talking to each other through BT. One nice video I've seen showing this has someone controlling a vehicle through a wireless joystick.

Anyway, I hope will have some access (and time) to play with those kits when they get here and if anything nice comes out of it I'll be sure to upload it.

There are apparently some differences between the home and educational kits, with the most significant I noticed being that the educational bricks have the option of talking to each other through BT.

This is not true. All NXT kits have the possibility to use BT to alk with other NXT or different device like PDA, cellphone, etc.

Ciao,