30 inches!

With a desktop this large, I could create larger block diagrams and obfuscate my code to the point where only I could edit it.

Requires a dual-link DVI-D graphics card that supports WQXGA (2560x1600) resolution.

Add the needed graphics card and you're over the price of a LabVIEW Full Dev. license! I guess I'll have to wait until next year, maybe Santa can negotiate a volume discount... :)

"that's almost as good as two 1600x1200's side-by side" - are you saying that from personl experience ;)

It'd be great is it just had two side-by-side inputs, so you could use a dual monitor card or two separate cards and let your OS handle the placement of the virtual screens...

The video card needs 850 Watts of power to run :blink: !!!!! Guess that leaves laptop computing out of the question...

Do you get a personal quote for a mid-range electricity connection (throughout Europe 16kV) from your local supplier along with the video card purchase? :P

At least, if you install this into your computer, you'll have to upgrade your case & power-supply to a server-system. Normal mid-tower supply (350 to 500 Watts) won't love your new graphic card.

On the other way: might be a nice experience playing doom with such a screen & resolution.

Do you get a personal quote for a mid-range electricity connection (throughout Europe 16kV) from your local supplier along with the video card purchase? :P

At least, if you install this into your computer, you'll have to upgrade your case & power-supply to a server-system. Normal mid-tower supply (350 to 500 Watts) won't love your new graphic card.

On the other way: might be a nice experience playing doom with such a screen & resolution.

And you don't need a heating anymore ;-). But boy will that suck next summer with temperatures above 30 degree Celsius outside.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 1 month later...
"that's almost as good as two 1600x1200's side-by side" - are you saying that from personl experience ;)

I used to use two 1600x1200s, but then the high side of 40 started taking it's toll and now I have to settle for 1280x1024x2

Funny what we consider to be "settling" today. I remember in college the girl next door in the dorm got an ACTUAL EGA card for her IBM PC for christmas and the whole floor threw a party to celebrate with her. We all stayed up til 6 am playing pacman and space invaders. She was the envy of the floor.

Those were the days...

Bonus points for anyone under 25 who remembers what EGA resolution and colors were without going to Google or Wikipedia ...

Bonus points for anyone under 25 who remembers what EGA resolution and colors were without going to Google or Wikipedia ...

Although I was fortunate enough to have a pretty good VGA screen with my first XT PC (which lasted all the way through to my 166 MHz, MMX, 32 MB RAM (!), 2 GB HD Pentium I), I definitely remember EGA, CGA, Hercules colors, Tandy colors and even monochromatic screens with green and orange. If I think about it I might even be able to name all the 16 EGA colors (CGA is too easy :D ). I remember installing a 4 MB extended RAM module and being able to perform miracles (or at least to play some of things others couldn't).

I'm 40, so it doesn't count; 640 x 350 x 16 colors. When I got out of college, I worked for a PC based CAD/CAM reseller. We would buy the IBM EGA graphics cards, then order optional memory to install into the card to get 64 colors. We also upgraded the IBM-AT memory using "piggy-back" chips to 512 KB. (That's how I learned about ESD :D ) I remember installing secondary serial/parallel boards to connect a plotter as well as a digitizing tablet, and you had to pull these fragile little termination blocks off and flip them around to select com2/lpt2.

If you know what a Tecmar Graphics Master is, then I'm not suprised that your eyesight is deteriorating :wacko: . The interlaced 640 x 480 drove me NUTS! The only monitor that worked well was a Zenith because of it's slow refresh rate.

Woah, what a flashback! I suddenly feel the urge to put on my white high-tops, knit tie and MEMBERS ONLY jacket and then cruise the mall drinking an Orange Julius. :rolleyes:

I'm 40, so it doesn't count; 640 x 350 x 16 colors. When I got out of college, I worked for a PC based CAD/CAM reseller. We would buy the IBM EGA graphics cards, then order optional memory to install into the card to get 64 colors. We also upgraded the IBM-AT memory using "piggy-back" chips to 512 KB. (That's how I learned about ESD :D ) I remember installing secondary serial/parallel boards to connect a plotter as well as a digitizing tablet, and you had to pull these fragile little termination blocks off and flip them around to select com2/lpt2.

If you know what a Tecmar Graphics Master is, then I'm not suprised that your eyesight is deteriorating :wacko: . The interlaced 640 x 480 drove me NUTS! The only monitor that worked well was a Zenith because of it's slow refresh rate.

Woah, what a flashback! I suddenly feel the urge to put on my white high-tops, knit tie and MEMBERS ONLY jacket and then cruise the mall drinking an Orange Julius. :rolleyes:

well i jokingly sent my bosses boss an email saying i need one of those 30" dells , well he came down this morning asking me how much they cost.... the problem is that i dont have enough room for one of those monitors let alone a video card , but , he did tell me to look into a 24" widescreen , so my question is (i think i know the answer) should i go for a 24" widescreen or stick with my 2 19" lcd's ?

if you know what a Tecmar Graphics Master is, then I'm not suprised that your eyesight is deteriorating :wacko: . The interlaced 640 x 480 drove me NUTS! The only monitor that worked well was a Zenith because of it's slow refresh rate.

My XT (to be frank it was my dad's one ;) ) had this "intelaced 640x480" resolution. So I assume that I owned one of these Tecmar cards. That also reminds me the "portable" my dad used at work: Toshiba, >10kg, orange display, but an AT(!!!). It was known (throughout german speaking region) as "Schlepp-Top" instead of "Laptop".

...so my question is should i go for a 24" widescreen or stick with my 2 19" lcd's ?

Why not have them all ;) :

+----------+ +-----------------+ +----------+

|XXXXXXXXXX| |XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX| |XXXXXXXXXX|

|XX.19".XXX| |XXXXXX.24".XXXXXX| |XX.19".XXX|

|XXXXXXXXXX| |XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX| |XXXXXXXXXX|

+----------+ +-----------------+ +----------+